Thread: Internet, cable and satellite services

Default Internet, cable and satellite services

I will be in Wellington in a month's time and I am really curious about a couple of things.

1. How fast is the internet connection? Do they have broadband in major cities?
    2. How about cable/satellite TV. I am a soccer freak, so I hope I will still be able to watch the English Premier League, Italian Serie A and Spanish League. I also like CNN, BBC and Sky News.
    3. Is it true that most apartments have internet connections and cable TV?

Welcome to the forum Honie.

Cant speak for Welly but down here Broadband is pretty nifty.

Loads of premier football but lacking for Italian and Spanish but not a big fan anyway so bothered that much lookng for it .

Get CNN , BBC world and Sky NZ and Au so long as you've Sky of course

And sorrry but dont know about apartments but most Motels have Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Honie View Post
    I will be in Wellington in a month's time and I am really curious about a couple of things.

2. How about cable/satellite TV. I am a soccer freak, so I hope I will still be able to watch the English Premier League, Italian Serie A and Spanish League. I also like CNN, BBC and Sky News.
    The main cable provider in Wellington is TelstraClear but they are not available everywhere so you would need to confirm that they are available at the location that you want.

If you can't get cable then you will likely use ADSL with Telecom for broadband access, unless you are rural in which case you may have to go with satellite access?

If you want any half-decent TV in Wellington then you will need cable or Sky TV.

Can't tell you about apartments but for houses, if it says an internet connection then that tends to just mean you can plug in an ADSL modem and get broadband access.

You can check out Sky TV Guide to see what sort of sports etc are being shown.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Honie View Post

Welcome to the forum Honie,

Ooh your in for one big disappointment, satellite telly and broadband!

You won’t get that in the capital city of NZ, in fact just the other day while the lady on the checkout at the local store was working out my bill on her abacus, she asked if I’d heard about that new invention of dentures, “their made of wood you know, from trees!” “The same wood they make theses new fandangled counting beads from.”

Lol sorry Honei, just my idea of a joke, not funny when your trying to research a place I guess, but I couldn’t resist. As a comms engineer let me assure you that unless you live in a particularly affluent area, or in the sticks, things like broadband aren’t an issue. The affluent areas are a little oversubscribed.

If you’d like a preview of NZ technology (and your in the UK) go to remote Scotland and pickup a phone, or access the internet. The backhall for BT is designed and built in NZ (Welly in fact). Funny really NZ modelled its comms system on BT and now it advances it, I guess NZ also has a soft spot for the UK (Particularly Scotland, don’t know why lol).

Its very true that rural NZ has some comms issues, but that isn’t because the technology isn’t readily available on their doorstep, its because NZ had a bad habit of looking out when it should be looking in (and counting its blessings) other than that, I cant fault the place.

NZ broadband has a bad name, that may be because much of NZ is amazingly remote, as a friend put it “you can be out of a city and in the Ars* end of nowhere in no time at all”, welcome to the southern hemisphere LOL it’s an astonishing place, I hope you enjoy it.

Bob