Thread: POND (not pool) fencing regulations

Default POND (not pool) fencing regulations

Ok does anyone out there know about the regulations regarding having a garden pond (not a pool!) fenced in!

We live in a rural area, not residential, some of our neighbours have garden ponds with no fencing at all, ours has a bit of fencing around it.

I've found all the stuff on Pools and spa pools, but does that also relate to garden ponds?

Help!

Marcia

You might find that regulations differ depending on where you live anyway. Try giving your local council a ring, they would be the ones inforcing any regulations.

HTH

Your council is best person to contact on this.

Funnily enough, I've been reading up about fencing laws this morning (I know how to have fun!) As far as I can make out, the Fencing of Swimming Pools act relates to any body of water deeper than 40 cm that is on residential land, so garden ponds are included.

Just looked through my history, and found this:

Ornamental ponds, deeper than 400mm, and not intended for swimming, paddling, wading or bathing are not exempted [from the Fencing of Swimming Pools Act] if they are used in association with a house or other specified building. (In 2004 a Coroner’s report found that a 2-year old girl had drowned in an unfenced pond located 74 metres at its nearest point from the front door of the residence. The Coroner stated that the pool was not “exempt” in his view because it contained water in excess of 400mm and was “used in association with any house.”)

So what does “used in association with” mean?

The Act does not specify this so Territorial Authorities should consider the facts of each case in the light of the ordinary meaning of the word “association”. It is noted that some Territorial Authorities are requiring a water depth not exceeding 300mm as a consent condition. In the case of existing ponds (water features) some have had domed mesh barriers over the ponds that take the weight of an adult; and some have been “shallowed” by sand, shingle or bricks to not exceed the 400mm depth.
    http://www.minhousing.govt.nz/UserFi...e-addendum.pdf

And the full guidelines can be found here: http://www.minhousing.govt.nz/UserFi...pool-guide.pdf

But it's probably easier to check with your council than wade () through that document!