Thread: Work Visa vs Work Permit

Question Work Visa vs Work Permit

I am applying for a general/essential work visa/permit (INZ 1015) I have a job offer and all of the required paperwork. As I was filling out the application, I got to a section (section H) that asks me if I am applying for a visa or a permit or both. What is the difference between the two, and which one do I check? Or do I check both?

Underneath the q's in small print, it said for me to refer to the INZ 1016 guide to help me fill it out, ironically, section H is missing-they totally forgot to include it in the form.

Oh and my job offer states that the job will be offered to me once I am granted a permit...so maybe I need both, but I don't know.

If anyone knows anything about this, your input will greatly be appreciated!

A permit gives you permission to be in NZ, a visa allows you to travel into NZ. If you are outside NZ (or plan to travel outside NZ anytime during the duration of your permit) you require a visa as well as a permit.

I think I may have found the answer on google. The work visa allows you to enter NZ while the permit allows you to stay in NZ. So I guess I need both since I have not entered NZ yet. Let me know if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by timeanzbound View Post
    I think I may have found the answer on google. The work visa allows you to enter NZ while the permit allows you to stay in NZ. So I guess I need both since I have not entered NZ yet. Let me know if I am wrong.
    You are correct (as is KerryS), if you are outside the country (NZ) then you need to apply for the work visa otherwise you won't be able to travel to NZ.

BTW, You will (assuming the option is still there) want the multiple entry visa so that you are able to leave NZ e.g. on holiday during the period of your visa otherwise you could leave but won't be allowed to return.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Y

BTW, You will (assuming the option is still there) want the multiple entry visa so that you are able to leave NZ e.g. on holiday during the period of your visa otherwise you could leave but won't be allowed to return.

Ian
    I am planning on a multiple entry visa...I want to visit Australia while I'm there and have little time off from work. Hopefully they will give it to me!