Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No GBP sign on my laptop

My laptop doesn't have a £ sign either but I get it by pressing shift and 3 (even though my 3 key has a hash symbol# on the top of it) Found that by pure accident! My @ symbol is actually my apostrophe key and if I press shift and 2 I get the " (although the 2 key has the @ symbol on top). Many of other keys are not what they should be - very confusing!!!

That will be because your keyboard input language is set to UK English. If you change it to US English the symbols will match those printed on your keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    My laptop doesn't have a £ sign either but I get it by pressing shift and 3 (even though my 3 key has a hash symbol# on the top of it) Found that by pure accident! My @ symbol is actually my apostrophe key and if I press shift and 2 I get the " (although the 2 key has the @ symbol on top). Many of other keys are not what they should be - very confusing!!!
    So it's nice and straightforward then?

We just use a cheapie wireless keyboard for one of our laptops which doesn't have £ sign.

♥♥♥☻♦♣♠•◘○☺☻♥♦♣♠•◘○♥♥£

£ £ £ £ £

Got there in the end - thanks Jo Jo

I had to press Fn and num lock then alt and the 0163 on the keypad rather than the numbers at the top.

It's a bit long winded but if you haven't got the number keypad on the right, then you could click on start, go to programs, accessories, system tools & click on character map. There you will find any characters you can't find on the keys. You just copy & paste.

It's handy if you need to type things with accents & other letters that are not in the english language.

Tiggergirl

Thanks - we had this problem too with our new computer we bought here!

Sharon
    x

For Windows XP users the best option to achieve this is to go to the control panel, select the "Regional and Language Options". Select the "Languages" tab and press the details button.

This will open the "Text Services and Input Languages" properties where you can 'Add' a new Input language or keyboard. Select English (United Kingom) as your option and then whenever you want English characters you just need to switch to that mode.

If you press the "Key Settings" button you will be able to see the current 'hot keys' to switch input locales and also can define your own.

So for example, by default it is just hold down the left Alt key and Shift key at the same time and then the keyboard will switch to the next input locale e.g. UK.

So if you are using a NZ keyboard and want the £ sign, then you just press the Alt key+shift (to change to the English UK locale) and then shift+3 (or whichever key your # sign is on) and can carry on using English chars until you switch back to a different input locale.

Ian

£#£#

Great, that works in Vista as well.

Ever since I have had this laptop my @ has been where my " should be and vice versa. I have just got used to it and have always used GBP as my £ sign as I have never needed to use the hash above the 3. So I have checked my keyboard language setting and it has always been on UK setting So now that I know I have a £££££££ yehhhhhh.Thanks everyone and especially JO JO for asking the question. I am so used to this now I will keep it here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast