Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No GBP sign on my laptop

Default No GBP sign on my laptop

I bought a new laptop a few months ago, and it doesn't have the GBP symbol on it. (It also has the @ symbol in the wrong place, but I've got used to that now.) In Microsoft Word, I can insert the pound sign as a symbol, and set up a shortcut key to insert it quickly, but the shortcut keys don't work outside of word/ office. Does anyone know if there is another way I can access this symbol, for example if I wanted to use it in a post on this forum? (without cutting and pasting it from a Word document)

Cheers

Have you tried altering the language settings? My computer in work is automatically set for US and the @ sign is in the wrong place...

If you go into the control panel and then into regional and language there should be an option there to change it.

Hope that helps

think changing the language setting is the best option, but you can also just cut and paste from another post! and you may even be able to set up a permanent shortcut outside of word but i have not idea how!

you've got an american keyboard like me it sounds like.

if you change the keyboard settings, it will become a UK keyboard, but the buttons won't match the keys.

there is a short cut you can press for the pound sign. eg. like a function key and a few numbers. i'll research it

press and hold the Alt key while you type 0163 on the numeric keypad at the right of the keyboard (not the numbers above the letters) and when you release the Alt key you will have a £ sign inserted wherever the cursor is at.

£ £ £ £

£ £

Yay brilliant - we have the same problem since we got our new lappy a couple of weeks ago.

I dont have any numbers to the right of the keyboard (hate my stupid laptop) sulk

Looks like I'll just have to stick to typing GBP in front of everything

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    press and hold the Alt key while you type 0163 on the numeric keypad at the right of the keyboard (not the numbers above the letters) and when you release the Alt key you will have a £ sign inserted wherever the cursor is at.
    £ £ £

Aha! It works! Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Though as I don't have a separate numeric keypad, just some of the letters that double as a keypad, I had to do the following:

press Num Lock
    Hold down Fn and ALT and type 0163

Maybe that will work for you as well, wilson182?

£ Now my irritation can disappear! Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast