Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Costco

Thanks JasonS
    Someone else told me about them I'll have a look at their web-site now thanks again

Natasha

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    No, it's the problem with big businesses putting smaller local ones out of business because they can't compete with the price.

Plus in all the Costcos I have been in they were surly bordering on mean.

Plus stores that big are just overwhelming to me.
    Costco sells to a different market than the Mom and Pop crowd. Its walmart that is the goliath monster. I don't like Walmart. which is ironic because I work for a developer that builds walmarts. PSS I'm no in that division.

Large stores that sell the same things cheaper than Mom and Pop stores do compete with them and can still drive them out of business.

I do agree though that Costco is not nearly as soulless as Wallmart.

I guess Costco is a US chain, as I've never heard of 'em. Must say I miss Tesco, Sainsbury & Morrison's, for the wider range and cheaper prices. Especially the petrol as there's simply no competion in the latter over here, it's difficult to see how petrol's gone up over 30c in the last few weeks - and yet diesels barely moved. They're so quick to raise prices, and take forever to pass on a drop in price.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate cake View Post
    They're so quick to raise prices, and take forever to pass on a drop in price.
    That's a little unfair they dropped like a stone here over recent months after peaking, I don't think I have ever seen fuel drop like that in the UK.

Hubby and I have not stepped foot in a Wal-Mart in over two years. After we saw the video, "The High Price for Lower Cost" we were absolutely disgusted. No more Wal-Mart, we just could not support that company any longer.

Now, we do shop at CostCo, they just built a new one by our house but we only go once every few months to stock up on staples, like paper towels, bath room tissue, canned goods, stuff like that. But we can certainly do without it too. It would not be the end of the world if we were not able to shop there again.

I'm not a Costco fan either, but mostly because they have a strict admission policy, which basically means if you don't have a high paid job, run your own business or work for the government you're not allowed in.
    Think thats rather unfair and only helps to make the rich richer and the poor poorer!

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterby View Post
    I'm not a Costco fan either, but mostly because they have a strict admission policy, which basically means if you don't have a high paid job, run your own business or work for the government you're not allowed in.
    Think thats rather unfair and only helps to make the rich richer and the poor poorer!
    WOW! It is not like in the US for Costco. I got a membership as a gift and I just kept renewing it. Now SAMS Club is like that, you have work for certain companies in order to be a member but I do not think these companies are associated with high paying companies. That really stinks for those in the UK whom want to shop at CostCo and cannot do so if they wanted to. That does not seem right.

yeah, it was recommended to me by someone in the US, so i was rather annoyed when i couldn't get membership because i didn't fulfill the criteria, tho it has been sugested to just tick yes and hand over the payslips that they need to see and they are unlikely to check (but that would be dishonest!)

We have the Executive Membership, But it gives us money back, and we usally only end up putting out maybe $15-$20 US every year. Soo our membership vitually pays for itself. And they do have killer prices on Petro, can't beat them. Is membership not open to everyone in the UK, like in the US?

FYI sams club is owned by Walmart. they are just as bad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast