Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Zealand Costco

Quote Originally Posted by WANZLittles View Post

FYI sams club is owned by Walmart. they are just as bad.
    Figures. LOL

Hmm. When I applied for a Sam's Club membership in California (2003) I wasn't asked who I worked for -- it was a simple sign-up process with few questions overall. Maybe things have changed.

I think there's room for Costco as well as smaller stores. If I want customized products or services, or expert advice, I would head straight for a Mom and Pop store; Costco isn't set up to do that. If I wanted party platters and wine by the case, in quantities to feed an army, with little or no advance notice, then it makes sense to go to Costco and not ask this of the smaller store. I agree that the question is about targeted marketing and who can offer what.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That's a little unfair they dropped like a stone here over recent months after peaking, I don't think I have ever seen fuel drop like that in the UK.
    I don't think that's true, they took somewhile to drop pre-christmas, and eventually pressure from politicians forced them to drop. And this year, they've risen ever so quickly as the Kiwi-Dollar rate as declined.

In Porirua there's "Uncle Bill's" which is apparently a wholesale shop. Not been there myself and don't know if it's nationwide, but I think that's the deal.

Moore Wilson's, for me, is one of the few places that offers refills for Sodastream gas canisters. Have found it a bit weird and disjointed apart from that.

As for Costco... I tried to go to one of them once, to have a look around, and they wanted me to fill in a form and leave a credit card and my driving licence with their security team while I went around. I told them where to go in no uncertain terms.

Sam's Club - never stepped foot in the place, never will.

God, I love Costco. I'm all over the 750-tablet bottles of ibuprofen and 2-packs of Cetaphil. NZ retail stores need more competition - keeps everyone honest and prices in line with reality, I think. Plus, Costco pays their employees a fair, livable wage and offers benefits (unlike Walmart/Sam's Club.)

Quote Originally Posted by SarahEDH View Post
    I think there's room for Costco as well as smaller stores. If I want customized products or services, or expert advice, I would head straight for a Mom and Pop store; Costco isn't set up to do that. If I wanted party platters and wine by the case, in quantities to feed an army, with little or no advance notice, then it makes sense to go to Costco and not ask this of the smaller store. I agree that the question is about targeted marketing and who can offer what.
    I must agree

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Plus, Costco pays their employees a fair, livable wage and offers benefits (unlike Walmart/Sam's Club.)
    Based on truth, at least in the US they are in the top 10 employeers.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate cake View Post
    I guess Costco is a US chain, as I've never heard of 'em. Must say I miss Tesco, Sainsbury & Morrison's, for the wider range and cheaper prices.
    They are a US chain, I beleive, but they have 20 warehouses in the UK. For many things they are much cheaper than Tescos etc - as much as 50% cheaper but you have to buy in bulk. So you can get, for example, tinned chopped tomatoes at half the price of Tescos prices but you have to buy a slab of 24.

You can buy a huge tub of dried herbs for less than the price of the teensy little jars and packets in the supermarkets.
    They are excellent for cleaning products, dishwasher tablets, fabric softener and the like. Some things they are not so hot on. The quality of the meat, bakery and other fresh produce is excellent.

You do have to eitherhave your own company or be employed by certain types of employer to get membership. When they opened a store in Bletchley (near Milton Keynes) they informed the Open University that ALL their staff would be eligible for membership as they worked for an 'education provider'. Crazy - I'm not a teacher or a lecturer (and why one would have more need for a cahs & carry than anyone else I really don't know) but, as someone with a rather lowly paid desk job, I was eligible for membership.

My partner has his own company but to get membership that way you need to provide them with a utility bill addressed to the company. As he is an IT contractor 'the company' doesn't have an address and the hokme utility bills are in my name. I guess they might have accepted his company mobile phone bill? Whatever.

Strange 'rules' but good place to stock up.

Here in the states there are three tiers of Costco membership - household, business and executive. You don't need to show proof of business ownership or employment for the basic, household membership. They are a very good business (although the customer service has much to be desired, at least here on the east coast) - and it's a *great* place to stock up on toilet paper and milk!

My dad is a HUGE fan of Costco - he has joked about opening up a franchise when they move to NZ...

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    NZ retail stores need more competition - keeps everyone honest and prices in line with reality, I think.
    There's hardly the population to warrant this, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterby View Post
    I'm not a Costco fan either, but mostly because they have a strict admission policy, which basically means if you don't have a high paid job, run your own business or work for the government you're not allowed in.
    Think thats rather unfair and only helps to make the rich richer and the poor poorer!
    I don't think that's really fair. It was very easy to get a Costco card when I was in the UK, either as an employee (or relative of an employee) of a company that is recognised by Costco (and that's pretty much any large company, or any company that applies to them). So you don't need a high paid job, or even any job.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123