Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hope for IKEA!

Default Hope for IKEA!

For those of us who are obsessed with all things IKEA, there may be good news on the horizon.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4705387a13.html

I know it's several months old, but it's still the most recent article I've found on it. I've also heard murmurs about them considering a site somewhere in Porirua...anyone hear anything about this? I know it's a bit premature, but we are crossing our fingers that they manage to open one by the time we get there!

We were just at our local IKEA the other day to pick up a few things for family in Auckland. It's amazing how cheap some of that stuff is. I had to keep reminding myself that we are trying to DOWNsize right now. It's no time to be adding furniture/artwork/stuff!!! Not after all the purging we've done - selling or donating the excess stuff in anticipation of the move...

We just went to the brand new IKEA that opened here in Southampton last week, and I've now even more convinced that I want to fill my as-of-yet-unconstructed future home with cheap designer Swedish furniture. I can understand New Zealand's wanting to protect local businesses and enterprise, but honestly the few home furnishing stores they do have are either so overpriced or have such a limited selection it leaves you with basically 2-4 choices for just about anything, nothing more. I'd be willing to bet the Red Shed has primarily been the one behind the opposition to building an IKEA in Auckland. Grrr...

My hubby actually works for IKEAs head office (the mothership) here in Sweden!!

Will see if he can find anything out about the NZ store

Shall really miss the store once we move to NZ ...and the Swedish food market!

Quote Originally Posted by Swedenz View Post
    My hubby actually works for IKEAs head office (the mothership) here in Sweden!!

Will see if he can find anything out about the NZ store
    OMG that would be awesome! Cheers!...or rather, Godspeed you brave IKEA warrior!

Quote Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnGirl View Post
    We just went to the brand new IKEA that opened here in Southampton last week, and I've now even more convinced that I want to fill my as-of-yet-unconstructed future home with cheap designer Swedish furniture. I can understand New Zealand's wanting to protect local businesses and enterprise, but honestly the few home furnishing stores they do have are either so overpriced or have such a limited selection it leaves you with basically 2-4 choices for just about anything, nothing more. I'd be willing to bet the Red Shed has primarily been the one behind the opposition to building an IKEA in Auckland. Grrr...
    I haven't yet ventured to the new one in Southampton - hoping to wait till the excitement dies down!! Perhaps this weekend - I'm just glad it's opened before we move - at least we'll be able to take stuff with us.

Noooooooooooooo. Please lets have a concerted effort to keep Ikea out of New Zealand!

Apart from the hotdogs - they can come!

It is almost a joy to put together New Zealand flat pack made of proper wood; and to have furniture in our house which doesn't break after 6 months is simply amazing.

We found that Target had similar prices to Ikea in the UK, was about 100 times better quality and had excellent customer services too.

All an Ikea would do is to decrease the quality everywhere else as they try to compete (at least that is what seems to have happened in the UK).

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    and to have furniture in our house which doesn't break after 6 months is simply amazing.
    My Ikea bed, wardrobes and armchair are going strong after seven years

I agree with you James I like the difference of NZ shops hey people can always shop at wharehouse!

i have Ikea stuff that has lasted much longer than six months....and is made of real wood! It gets rather a thrashing in this household with a hyper little one around, and hasn't broken!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast