Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An interesting house...

Default An interesting house...

So I'm bored and looking through Bayleys (I miss NZ btw) and I found this house:

http://www.parihoa.co.nz/parihoa_photos.pdf

It's an 8 meg PDF with pics but its pretty funky.

This is the listing URL on Bayleys.

http://bayleys.co.nz/49048

I have always found NZ homes to be really interesting and unique and I thought I needed to share this one.

Dan

It is different and the scenery, wow. Thanks for that.

Awesome house. Ditch the awful painting over the fireplace and I'm sold.

Where's the workshop?

If Carling did houses that is what they would make

Thank you Dan!

It's a good opportunity to rethink what is good design and what not, where the one begins, where the other ends. It may surprise you, but I think this one goes back and forth somewhere in the middle.

It tries to seem humble, integrated in it's surroundings, and just is not. I'm sorry, though clearly it is one of the better designs in NZ, the design concept stopped, where I feel it only just began...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigSaxon View Post
    So I'm bored ..............
    Dan
    An example I'd love you to see, to see where I'm heading with my response is "Press House", by Marco Zanuso. It was built in 1978 in Transvaal, South Africa.

It helas is not on the internet, but since you're bored, your library may have it?

Cheers, John.

I agree with JohnZ. It's a nice house, but it doesn't look comfortable in its setting. I suspect it would look better in more arid surroundings - Chile, California or even Australia.

That scenery is just begging for a green roof. Maybe something like that semi-submerged house in Wales (I think, I can't find a link).

Ooh it's a bit too WWI bunker-like from a distance. Love the setting but agree with VileTraveller that the house doesn't look comfortable in it.

Quote Originally Posted by norma View Post
    Ooh it's a bit too WWI bunker-like from a distance. Love the setting but agree with VileTraveller that the house doesn't look comfortable in it.
    I'm afraid I can't agree with you there Norma, since most bunkers along the coastline* are far more integrated into the landscape than this one...

*Here in NZ I think I only saw one semi-submerged next to Raglan. But in their original design, most bunkers I've seen in my life had strategic positions combined with stealth mode, especially the ones along the coast. Sometimes they triggered my fantasy of turning them into an almost invisible house...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast