Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salaries

Default Salaries

Hello

I am very pleased to say that I have been offered a job in New Zealand. Slight concern is salary: this is still to be negotiatied but is likely to be in the region of $65, 000. I get the impression that this is fine (I'm single with no kids) but others views would be welcome.

On another subject, I have found this site to be very helpful and will be looking at it loads more in the future!

Hi jmol, and welcome to the forums.

Unless you're coming in search of the high-life, you should be able to get along very well on that salary here.

Still, if you're going to be negotiating, there's no harm in seeing if you can get a touch more - do you know whether $65,000 is appropriate to your qualifications/experience?

Thanks for that.

I think it is an appropriate salary: it's a university type job and the $65K figure seems in the right range according to the wages info elsewhere on this site. I can now negotiate with confidence and start worrying/being excited about the move itself.

Jmol

For a single person with no kids I reckon you'll be just fine with a 65k salary.

I've heard of families of 4 getting by on a good deal less than that.

All the best. Diny

Now I am worried :?

I have a job offer with a wage of 17 Dollars an hour or about 35 - 38000 Dollars a year, I do have a wife and 2 young children. We are not going to NZ to live the high life ot have the best this or that, but is this enough to live on, with out my wife working as well?????????????

Dave

Once again Dave, it all depends on where you live, how much dosh you take with you and how grandly you plan to exist once there.

The salary you mention equates to approx 14,000 pounds, but if you were mortgage free or at least had a very small mortgage it would be possible.

As long as the bills are paid and there's food on the table I'm sure we'll all adjust to cope with whatever money is left.

Good luck

Diny

I agree with Diny - you would need no mortgage or a v small one to be comfortable on 35-38NZ$ from what I have heard/seen of the cost of living...

We intend to rent for a year or two. We will have some money from the sale of our house, which after buying everything Beds, KETTLE, t.v, everything really, should leave us with a reasonable deposit for a mortgage when we decide to buy.

We are not accustomed to a lavish lifestyle now, my salary barely touches 20k and my wife doesn't work. We don't struggle, I earn enough to pay the bills feed and cloth us all, can't ask for much more really!!!

Just hope my NZ salary can support us without dipping into the savings to much.

Dave

I'm sure you'll be just fine, and the scenery is FREE

Keep us posted...

You sound like you have the right attitude anyway. I know it's probably something you don't really want to have to consider, but if things got too difficult, maybe your wife could go out and work for a while - just to see you through the hard times.

Also .... have you not considered taking all your 'stuff' with you. We've looked into this subject quite alot and it does actually work out to be the sensible option. A sole use 20ft container will cost in the region of 3k to send out to NZ - would you be able to replace everything for that price? Just a thought - I'm sure you'll mull everything over a million times and it will all come good in the end.

Diny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast