Thread: Weather in the Waikato (Cambridge- Hamilton)

Default Weather in the Waikato (Cambridge- Hamilton)

It's not a deal breaker but I loved Hawkes Bay's climate- long hot summers and mild short winters. I'm no fan of drizzle and damp ... am I going to have to toughen up?

PS- probably should have put my other Waikato queries here in location too!

Well I love the weather here. It's 200% better than Britain. But it DOES rain more than Hawkes Bay and that is why it is greener (which I quite like). Summers are long, warm and mainly sunny, winters are short and relatively mild. It can get windy and rainy in Winter. Autumn is the absolute biz with lovely windless sunny days, misty mornings and fantastic autumn colours on the exotic trees dotted all over the farmland. Temperatures are generally about 2 or 3 degrees lower than Hawkes Bay in summer I've noticed on the weather map, but it still can feel very hot and sometimes quite sticky. Winter nights and early mornings can be cold, but the days can be warm and sunny.

I think the climate is good - very conducive for vegetable growing! You'll love it!

As above; we've been very pleasantly surprised by the weather here since Aug; OH has only worn shorts and I've ony had cold feet once!

Ah, that's very encouraging- thanks!

I'd opt for a bit more rainfall for more greenery too

Yeah 100% agreement with Carey and Sam. I too love the greenery. We have friends who emigrated to OZ last year and when they see the pics of how green it is they are very envious (green with envy infact)

I am very 'nesh', I do wear fluffy socks in the winter but that's just me. OH is still in shorts as are the children. There was a tad too much rain for my liking last winter but apparently that was exceptional.

You will love it