Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You have to be able to work in New Zealand to apply for this job.

Default You have to be able to work in New Zealand to apply for this job.

I have looked at certain jobs recently and noticed a lot say "You have to be able to work in New Zealand to apply for this job". How can you apply for a job if you don't live in NZ already or you need a job offer in order to get a work permit. This seems like a catch 22 situation. Has anybody had experience of applying from the UK, for a position in NZ and then getting a work permit on the result of a job offer?

It is indeed a catch 22 situation, but I think others will agree that can be more of a caveat. Many people come over here and apply for jobs and then get a work permit based on the job offer. IMHO it seems to be getting more difficult to get a work permit/job in this economy but if your job/work background is on the skills shortage list, that helps immensely. I know they have taken off jobs recently from the skills shortage list due to the downturn in the economy. If your job isn't on the list, you may have to prove that there are no NZ citizens or residents who can do your job. This is what has happened to me. My work permit was denied for the aforementioned reasons. It just depends on your job and experience, so you could be just fine. I'm sure others will have more to say about this through their experiences, though. What is kind of jobs are you looking at?

Hi globetrecker,
    so can you apply for a job from the UK and then when questioned about your work permit/residency situation say that you are ready to move out if a job offer is received? (as "You have to be able to work in New Zealand to apply for this job" can be treated as just a caveat).
    Or would you suggest the best plan is to visit NZ and then apply for jobs and if successful then apply for a work permit/residency?
    I'm currently looking at jobs in IT network/systems administration.

Is "eligible" the same as "able", as I've seen plenty with the former, and it pretty much means that if you can get a work permit fast enough, you're in like flynt. Or however it's spelt. Or spelled.

Isn't the point that the employer is basically saying that they aren't going to help you with any work permit / proof that they can't find someone within NZ etc. In this market they are trying to cut costs, and spending staff time filling in Immigration forms is one thing they can save on.

The other thing is that in a different market then people would expect 'relocation' payments to cover visa costs, again, the market is now such that people that invest in getting PR / WTR off their own back / out of their own pocket are cheaper to hire.

Quote Originally Posted by davemac04 View Post
    Hi globetrecker,
    so can you apply for a job from the UK and then when questioned about your work permit/residency situation say that you are ready to move out if a job offer is received? (as "You have to be able to work in New Zealand to apply for this job" can be treated as just a caveat).
    Or would you suggest the best plan is to visit NZ and then apply for jobs and if successful then apply for a work permit/residency?
    I'm currently looking at jobs in IT network/systems administration.
    Yes, you can apply for a job from outside NZ and move here as soon as you have an offer. If you arrive on a visitor visa, they may need to see proof of your job offer. I think there may be some threads on the forum about this.

I am sure that many people on the forum would agree that it is easier for you (and the employer) if you are already here in NZ when you are applying and interviewing for jobs. That way they know you are serious about the job and are ready to begin the process of permits, etc. If coming here to look for jobs and interview (like we did), you need a return ticket so it doesn't run a red flag for immigration at the airport. They want to know that you have a way back if you don't have a job, etc. If you've got a job offer before you leave, then you'll likely already be able to get a work permit prior to your leaving.

That phrase is more of a guideline in better times. I think up to 8 or more months ago (depending on the industry) you might get some attention if your CV was pretty good or the occupation was hard to fill. It more meant the company wasn't interested in any perceived hassle of either waiting for overseas applicants and/or permits to work. Now it may still be some of what I just listed but also more of a fast track to having your CV discarded. That is, you can try but they may just ignore you.

Conversely positions that DON'T say that may have just forgotten to put it in the position description. I'd say just apply for it regardless, but don't get your hopes up. Much better to apply with at least an arrival date in mind.

Thanks for all your replies,
    Providing that I can say I am ready to quickly move out to NZ or are already there on a "Holiday/Work-seeking" trip, it looks like I can apply for these jobs and then start the work-visa/permit process.
    I have my police certificate and my qualifications are already verified by the NZQA.

With the way the market is at the moment unless you are a leader in your field and worthy of international head hunting most agencies here dont even have time or interest in looking at candidates that are not in the country when contacting them as their books are already overflowing with people here right now looking for work.

I have heard this firsthand from several in the last few months when discussing the market.

The reason is mainly that nationwide there is currently such a high number of people looking for work and there just arent the vacancies there at the moment.

The market also contracts here in winter for approx 3 months so not only is it now a recession but also winter.
    The IT market was very healthy here for a good spell and people from all over the world were moving here and now in the recession there are absolute pros applying for helpdesk roles.

By all means try but it may be hard going until this recession passes.

Good luck.
    Last edited by winka; 26th June 2009 at 10:24 PM.

Default this has screwed me too

Quote Originally Posted by winka View Post
    With the way the market is at the moment unless you are a leader in your field and worthy of international head hunting most agencies here dont even have time or interest in looking at candidates that are not in the country when contacting them as their books are already overflowing with people here right now looking for work.

I have heard this firsthand from several in the last few months when discussing the market.

The reason is mainly that nationwide there is currently such a high number of people looking for work and there just arent the vacancies there at the moment.

The market also contracts here in winter for approx 3 months so not only is it now a recession but also winter.
    The IT market was very healthy here for a good spell and people from all over the world were moving here and now in the recession there are absolute pros applying for helpdesk roles.

By all means try but it may be hard going until this recession passes.

Good luck.

Not worth bothering then eh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast