Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trademe house rentals

Quote Originally Posted by Shones View Post
    don't try to do too much before you get to NZ, it's better to take things slower and "get them right" on the ground. Hope this helps....
    Top tip I'd say.

We've been here 2 1/2 weeks. We booked our CBD apartment for one week from the UK but are extending on a week by week basis and plan to do so until our container arrives. Here we have all bills included; internet all day for job hunting and house hunting, as well as keeping in touch with family and friends; secure parking; plus we're really close to the centre which has been great for organising things like banks, IRD numbers and looking into public transport options for work. Buying a car was a bit awkward but we hired a car for a couple of days so we could tour the garages which are mainly in the suburbs. It is costing quite a bit but it is hassle free and they offer a weekly rate which if you want a 2 bed apartment is MUCH cheaper than the motels I approached. Our apartment is brand new - yes it is small but it has everything we need including proper beds which we wouldn't have if we move into a rental before our container arrives!

So far we have toured the North Shore and Eastern suburbs, as well as some of the Western side. Interestingly, as we are all very different people, we have plumped for an area that very rarely comes up as recommended on the forum. And our impressions of rental houses so far are pretty low. I know everyone mentions the damp thing and orientation regarding the sun, but only when you get here and see it first hand do you realise what a difference it will make. And as for descriptions for both rentals and sales (we're looking at both) - jolly limited and very much open to interpretation I'd say. You really need to check them out firsthand.

If you're like us, you'll have plenty to do tying up loose ends at home without adding more stress trying to arrange things in NZ too. I hope that helps and doesn't sound like a lecture - I'm really glad we're doing it in Auckland because I suspect we'd have ended up in entirely the wrong place for us if we'd had a go from the UK.

I can't help but be a nosey butter, what area have you gone for Hosebergine?

We really like Birkenhead. Close to CBD, a bit of space between the houses, ok prices, commutable by public transport and has a centre to it....which you'll find lacking in many areas. We're getting very funny looks when we say we want to use buses or ferries to get to work. Or even cycling but that depends on the hills along the route

We think they've put in a few more hills since we came last time.....

Quote Originally Posted by hosebergine View Post
    We think they've put in a few more hills since we came last time.....
    Nah that'll just be one of the 48 volcanoes that Auckland is built on, burping a bit (not really! )

Quote Originally Posted by M-Squared View Post
    Nah that'll just be one of the 48 volcanoes that Auckland is built on, burping a bit (not really! )
    as long as they don't follow through

Have you seen the little 'toadstools' on the top of Mount Victoria?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Have you seen the little 'toadstools' on the top of Mount Victoria?
    I ate fush n chups by those!

A colleague of mine lives in Birkenhead, it's not an area I'm in too much really but she loves it. Incidentally, I'm her property manager too so visit her house a few times a year.

Not to be contradictory but I find that most areas in Auckland have their own sort of main shopping street/centre. They're not always streets you'd necessarily want to stop and shop on but they are there

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123