Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patio heaters

Question Patio heaters

Wasn't sure where to post this but looking at getting a patio heater so we can enjoy BBQ's in the summer as found it too cold to sit out in the evening last year & don't want another summer like that BUT has anyone got one? Anything I should be looking at? & how much do they cost to run? I mean how long will a bottle last? Looked at one today that let out 38.5 Mi/h (think that was the term used) & was comparing to one that was 40, also a powder coated to stainless steel?
    Thanks in advance

They have quite a big environmental impact:

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/...-barometer-two

In fact, B and Q stopped selling them because of this.

This is just for info. We all make our own decisions on these things. I have also read that some eco ones are coming out.

Completly forgot about that, thanks, now I have to really think about it
    Good on B&Q for doing that

What about a fire pit or chimnea - especially if you have a ready supply of wood for the house?

Can't beat sitting round a roaring fire!

Ditto what Paul said; we bought a cast iron pot-bellied stove thing from Mitre-10 a year or two ago. It stands on legs on the patio and cost a little over $100. If you light it up with dry wood scraps it is putting out good heat within 10 mins and is very warm once it really gets going; it is great to sit around in the evening, much better than a gas heater.

Didn't even think of that, we do have a chiminea which we bought with us although quite little & as yet the stand hasn't been found, get the feeling it may have been left in the garage in the UK
    May just give this a go, but what can I burn on it bearing in mind we live closeish to other houses?

Note some areas have a total ban on outside burning all year round

for example
    http://www.ecan.govt.nz/Our+Environm...utdoorBurning/

Just be careful about zoning. In summer many areas of New Zealand have a fire ban and this extends to chimneas and fire pits which are not considered bar-b-ques.

If you are in a zone where you can have a fire then you will almost certainly need a fire permit. These cost about $25 a year in Wellington (but rural or coastal areas are free) and you can get them from the council.

Thanks for the info found this http://www.wellington.govt.nz/servic...repermits.html

Which means would need a permit, may explain lack of coal bbq's out here?

All I wanna do is stay warm in the evenings

Even if you were allowed them, I would still be very wary around having open fires too near to decks and wooden houses, especially in the dry weather. I guess it's not such a worry if you have a patio or paved area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast