Thread: On road costs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default On road costs?

We just bought a car from Turner's auctions. We paid on road costs. Does this cover a current WOF? The WOF on the car expired a few days before we bought it. I'm wondering if it is an oversight on their part (as it did expire in 2010) or is this usual?

I'd have thought on road costs would include the WOF, otherwise it isn't ready to go. Probably an oversight- get onto them about it though. Perhaps they had it done and forgot to put the slip on the windscreen?

Quote Originally Posted by BkyMonster View Post
    We paid on road costs. Does this cover a current WOF?
    How much did you pay for the "on road costs" component of the sale? A WoF fee cost between $25-$45 depending on where you go to, and a 6-month registration fee for a car is just under $150 I think.

If you had bought the car from a dealer (Licensed Motor Vehicle Dealer or "LMVD") the dealer must sell it to you in a road-worthy state. I don't think Turner's is a LMVD as they are an auction house so I believe they can sell the car without it being road-worthy at point of sale? Not too sure on that but worth a check.

Oh, you can do a check on your car number plate against www.carjam.co.nz to see what the vehicle registry says with regards to your WoF status.
    Last edited by KelvinAng; 8th January 2010 at 10:53 PM. Reason: to add that carjam bit of info

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinAng View Post
    Oh, you can do a check on your car number plate against www.carjam.co.nz to see what the vehicle registry says with regards to your WoF status.
    Just note that the information on CarJam isn't necessarily up-to-date or accurate, seems to take a couple of days from having a WOF until the data has been updated.

If it helps, from Turners website...
    *On Road Costs: If a vehicle is sold unregistered (no licence plates) there is also an additional $395 "on road cost" to have the vehicle registered
    Ian

Yes, it's got 6 months rego, and a certificate of import and road worthiness but no current WOF (expired 4 days before we bought the vehicle). We're fairly sure the car has been sitting since the last WOF as date of import is May 09, and we are first NZ owners, so don't foresee any issue, just wanted to know if it should have been included in the $395 (wish it was, looking like not necessarily). The $395 covers the rego fee and the change of ownership (and I was hoping the WOF) and is a bit steep IMO, but you can't really get it off the lot without it so oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by BkyMonster View Post
    The $395 covers the rego fee and the change of ownership (and I was hoping the WOF) and is a bit steep IMO, but you can't really get it off the lot without it so oh well.
    I've heard the initial registration of a vehicle is quite expensive and tedious with checks that are more stringent than a standard WoF being carried out. For this reason I've been told never to let a vehicle registration lapse for so long that it automatically de-registers the vehicle as it'll be difficult and expensive to re-register it again. If I should temporarily not use the vehicle I should put the registration "on hold" which is allowed for up to one year.

I'd imagine if it passes those checks it should also automatically qualify as being WoF'ed, but on the other hand it's not an actual WoF check...

Was it the Toyota Vitz you bought?

Haha yeah. Had lost it at a previous auction and was actually going to that one for another car but the Vitz came up again.

My OH also looked at the Vitz and pointed out to them about the expired WOF. They told him the vehicle would go out of the door with a current one, but then on the actual auction there was no mention of it so he didn't bid.