Thread: Electrical regulations

Default Electrical regulations

Hi,
    I am looking at obtaining a set of the New Zealand electrical wioring regulations, not sure what it will be called, but similar to our 16th Edition wiring regs over here in the UK (and any helpful guides if available).
    Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where/what they are located/called and how I can get hold of a copy.
    I am a sparky and am wanting to read up as much as I can beforer moving to NZ.
    Cheers and thanks in advance
    Nick

Nick,
    My very good friend is a sparky in NZ. I will email him with your question, and hopefully get an answer for you.
    Melissa

Default Electrical regulations

Melissa,
    thanks very much, any advice would be appreciated
    Cheers
    Nick

Netherlands ( and hopefully somewhere around Whangerei in a few years.. )

Hi Nick and Melissa,

sorry to hijack this thread but reading about sparkies got me interested..
    the thing is, we are looking into moving to NZ as well in a few years, and since my husband was a sparky ( if by that is meant electrotechnical fitter ) for 14 years before becoming the owner / manager / director of the company he worked for in 1991, I was wondering how a sparky ( love that word !
    could get a job in NZ or what regulations / education is needed and on what level...

Melissa would your friend be willing to shed some light on this for us ?

Thanks in advance for your time and efforts

Hiya I was an electrician in the UK and there are minimum qualifications you need in the UK that can be transfered to the equivalent NZ

http://www.med.govt.nz/ewrb/

you have to be registered to work as an electrician and take a written test. see the link attached, this si to the Electrical Workers Registration Board.

They will be able to see if the qualifcations you have in the UK are sufficient enough. Its possible that you'd just need to take a test.

Mine however were not

not sure this answers your question but its another little favourite to put in your list.

Netherlands ( and hopefully somewhere around Whangerei in a few years.. )

Hi AliJax, thanks for answering.. I just noticed I forgot to mention we're Dutch

Thanks anyway, an extra bookmark never hurt anyone

My friend who is a sparky in NZ directed me to the following resources:

The Electrical Contractor's Association of New Zealand (ECANZ) at http://www.ecanz.org.nz/

and the The Electrotechnology Industry Training Organisation Incorporated (ETITO) at http://www.etito.co.nz/home.html

The latter has information about training, qualifications, assesment, etc. that may be helpful to anyone wishing to work in the electrical field in NZ.

My friend also mentioned that the regulations in NZ are very similar to those in the UK. Actually, he said they are exactly the same (in practice) but I guess that he was overstating it a bit.

Good luck all!

Hi All

Do lift engineers have to take the exam as well? In th UK we don't have to do the 16th Edition wiring regs exam.
    BJ

BJ, yes they do. No-one can work with electrics unless you are registered and that means taking the test. You are not even supposed to play with the electric in your own house - unless you are licenced to do so.

Lil
    Doe's that means us lift engineer then become electricians? can we rewire houses and work on white goods. Wonder why we don't do the same in the UK, perhaps we should, it might keep out the fly-by-nights.
    BJ