Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recruiter wisdoms... how serious?

That is all very interesting. I have had nothing but a great experience with that agency. They are the reason I am here. I am not well versed on all the details of different visas and streams of getting here but it is my understanding that they really like people who have not started the process because they know that they can get people fast essential skills visas. For me I didn't care because I don't want PR.

They work with CYF and other agencies that are in desperate demand of skilled labor.

Also for me I couldn't even contimplate applying for jobs overseas without getting so overwhelmed. I got a lot of rejections on applications even with the agencies help. But I only had two interviews and got the second interview. They have a lot of realtionships with employers throughout NZ and I think that helps a lot. Otherwise you're just another person who requires extra paperwork.

sorry your experience wasn't great. I can't help but rave about them.

Quote Originally Posted by vickyjb View Post
    I had contact with this Social Work Recruitment Agency (yes it is the only one I have searched high and low for others but none exist) once my Residence Visa was granted. They also wanted me to sign a sole agent contract pay a £195 admin fee and not look for work independently which also rang a few alarm bells for me. The Agents cannot be paid a finders fee is you have previously made contact with the employer so this is why they try and deter you from doing so. I have now been in New Zealand 3 weeks looking for a Social Work position, I applied for several jobs from the UK but was only shortlisted once when I stated the date I would be arriving in NZ. Don't bother with the recruitment agent you don't need them, the best place to look for Social Work positions is SEEK or the District Health Board web sites. After been in NZ for a few weeks I can see the skills shortage in Social Work is firstly in Children & Families, then Mental Health and Substance Misuse. I work in adults and there are not that many positions available in the cities but some in a more remote areas.
    I'd certainly not be paying fees. Never seen that before.

In fact I seem to recall that charging fees is actually illegal in the UK - not sure about here. Certainly not seen it in 5 years and my OH uses at least 6 or 7 agencies.

I guess that if one takes into account that business principles are applied to the process of the agency in question, it is only understandable that they advise (prospective) clients in their own business interest. Even though some may think practices like telling half truths and worse in order to score client contracts are minor, I think it is unfortunate that misleading people for capital gains can go unpunished. Based on other negative experiences of forumites (think landlords etc.), sharks seem just as prevalent in NZ as in the rest of the world. I thought all Kiwi's were angels, but they seem to be human after all. Another minus for Godzone!?

Quote Originally Posted by 4togo View Post
    I think it is unfortunate that misleading people for capital gains can go unpunished. Based on other negative experiences of forumites (think landlords etc.), sharks seem just as prevalent in NZ as in the rest of the world. I thought all Kiwi's were angels, but they seem to be human after all. Another minus for Godzone!?
    I think you hit the nail on the head, only it is probably worse than a lot of other countries as so much of this stuff is unregulated and simply wouldn't be allowed elsewhere. There's very little in the way of consumer protection.

I thought all Kiwi's were angels
    You're not serious? - I HOPE you're not serious, or you're doomed to disappointment. I'm convinced people are people the whole world over, regardless of flag, language, etc., and like the rest of us, Kiwis are some good, some bad, and the vast majority a good old mixture. I LOVE my times in NZ, and have met with kindness, generosity and helpfulness for the most part (can only think of one rather grumpy person and one racist bigot), but the lovely people aren't supernatural, just nicely human, and you need to watch yourself when a business is out for a deal, just as much as anywhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12