Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IRD Number

Default IRD Number

Hello,

Can folks share how fast it took to get their IRD number. And the process. I've been given brief instructions how to do it but would like to have an idea how long it takes to actually receive the number.

Cheers.
    Sarah

Very fast. Like less than 2 weeks from application (made in person at a Post Shop). They're very very friendly and helpful in some of these NZ government agencies. Very refreshing coming from Canada where even though we really ARE paying them (with our tax dollars) they make you feel like it's a privilege just to talk to them. In NZ they were so helpful in answering questions, etc.

There is a fast track process also if you are needing one for work urgently, something the Postshop person failed to tell me. I ended up going to the nearest tax office and getting it done.

My husband just went to the office in Wellington, told them it was urgent and got it in 48 hours. Otherwise you go to the post shop apparently.

Can anybody tell me do you need it before starting work officially, or within the first couple of weeks or so?

You'll get stopped tax at the emergency rate until you get the propoer code, and that may make a big difference to your take home.

As i understand it. But there's a thread on here that tells of how to get the number very quickly (via phone) so it shouldn't be a major problem. Unfortunately it's before 'IRD' was allowed to be indexed so it takes a bit of finding.....

It used to be that you needed it to open a bank account as well, not sure if that's still the case - I think I got it over the phone, though it was eons ago so my brain is a bit fuddled...

Thanks everyone for the information. I will need it rather fast since I will only have about two weeks between arrival and starting work. I will make sure to ask about the fast option.

Sarah

When you apply you are given a reference numebr and telephone numebr - give it a week and ring up and ask really nicely and they will tell you what it is over the phone - saves about a week!

....and I agree - goverement and council departments here are easy to deal with - like talking to real people

Hey there,

I received mine within two days because I mentioned I needed it urgently because I started to work before I applied for one. The nice gentleman at the office made a note of that on the application sheet and gave me a card and circled the number to call within in a few days to obtain it. I did and the lady over the phone gave it to me. A few weeks later, mine and my husband's came in the mail along with the actual card with IRD number on it.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast