Thread: Real Estate Auckland

Default Real Estate Auckland

Hi,
    I need to find a suitable accommodation (AKL CBD, 1-2 BR, 300-350pw) within a week, and I was wondering if anybody has any good recommendations for any Real Estate companies in AKL. On TradeMe the most common ones are IMPRESSION Real Estate and RAY WHITE. I have even seen already their offices in CBD. Is there an advantage of going through one of those companies, or more waste of money. Do they "take care" of their clients or is it just business for them. Maybe someone has even another recommendation for a CBD accommodation.
    Is it common to check out more than 1 company, or do they all have their properties anyway, eg. ZEST. Is their usual fee one week rent?
    Last edited by SuperDan; 7th February 2010 at 09:34 PM.

Hi,

The main difference difference between both companies is that Impressions is a property management company, and Ray Whites is a real estate agent.

It's pretty common for agencies to charge a one off letting fee, which is usually one week's rent plus GST. Sometimes, when the apartments have been vacant for too long and they're desperate to get a tenant in, they'll offer a week's rent for free, lower the rent or even scrap the letting fee, so keep an eye out. There's no harm in trying to negotiate with them as well

As far as using an agency being an advantage or not, I think it really depends on how quick you want to move into a place. Our first apartment was managed by Impressions Real Estate, and they were ok, just make sure you're aware of what you should and shouldn't be paying for as a tenant, which I'm sure you are

Jen

I would recommend an apartment at Eclipse. It is brand new so you will be the first person renting. They require a fairly long lease though. It is either marketed by Impressions/Crockers. I have an apartment at Eclipse so I know what I am talking about.

Barfoot & Thompson is another real estate company that handles a lot of rentals.

http://www.barfoot.co.nz/Rentals.aspx

From my experience of the Devonport area, they don't seem to keep their web site updated with the latest rentals so it would be worth contacting the office responsible for Auckland CBD directly.

Estate agents don't advertise or push rentals very much, you're best to go into all the local agents offices and ask to see their latest list. They usually have one on the counter you can just take one and go and do a roadside recce before making an appointment to view any you fancy.