Thread: Relief work - primary/junior

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Relief work - primary/junior

Hello everyone,

I have read recent posts about relief work in NZ at the high school level, but can anyone who is currently in NZ advise me on the opportunities for relief work at the primary/junior level?

I am a new teacher, and because of few opportunities in Canada, am planning to move to NZ. I have gotten my NZQA assessment, am waiting for provisional registration, and can qualify for the working holiday visa.

I have applied to schools on the ed. gazette site without luck. I am having doubts because I am making such a huge move for both me and my partner, and there is no guarantee of relief work..

Thanks!

It depends on where you live. I landed in Auckland a couple of years ago and started relief teaching the following week. I worked every single day for three months until I found a full time job. You shouldn't have any trouble finding work in the Auckland area, though I've heard other areas aren't as easy. Make sure you go and visit all of your local schools as soon as you arrive and let them know you are available, and you should be fine.
    Amy.

Hello, welcome, and the best of luck.

All primaries use relief teachers but obviously have their regulars, so best thing to do is to go into each school with your CV, introduce yourself to the Principal or DP in person, either at same time or make an appointment to see them. Then you have more of a chance of being called.

Good Luck!

I posted a similar question a month ago. I think times have changed a bit from the "I worked everyday" glory days. I'm currently in Auckland. I was hoping to land a permanent position as a HS history teacher, but did not have any luck.

I sent my CV out to 38 schools via email asking to be put on their relief teacher list. I heard back from three saying I would be put on their relief teaching list. I was going to start going to schools in person to resubmit my CV when I got a call for a long term relief position.

On the crappy note, I was slow to let the schools know that I had landed a job, though I never received a phone call from anyone asking me to work.

When I moved here in Oct. 2009 I signed up with Oasis. That got me no where. The woman that runs the relief part of the company plays favorites and I was told strait up that newbies don't get much work. I also was told by a principal that Oasis charges the most for their teachers, so they are last to be called if theirs a job.

Most schools have a few relief teachers that work exclusively at the school, so they rarely have to call up anyone else. The best scenario is to be hired as a long term relief person, I got hired for only one term, but it's looking like the school tries really hard to keep LTR working at the school until there is a real position for them to fill.

Your best bet is to submit your CV and cover letter in person. Email and phone calls did not get me anywhere. Make sure your cover letter is at least a full page, and CV around 3 (my current principal was not happy with what I submitted and explained all the ways mine was not up to NZ standards). The CV's are very personal, more of a personal statement then anything that would be excepted in the US.

I hope this helps. A few principals have told me that teachers did not take leave or switch jobs because of the recession. Schools that normally have 20-30 new teachers a year had less then ten.

Once you do land some work the pay is great. A relief teacher makes the same amount as a permanent teacher, minus the holiday pay.

Thank you all for this information. I have been emailing back and forth with Oasis - and they seemed very nice...

Well, if worst comes to worst I can supply as a Kindergarten teacher but for only $15 per hour....

Thanks again!!