Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i think i have found gammon and bacon!!

Default i think i have found gammon and bacon!!

the only thing we miss is british type bacon, a ham joint and gammon. i had given up trying to find unsmoked bacon. yesterday i went into "the oldest butchers on the south island", and asked them about getting ham/bacon that was unsmoked. according to the butcher PICKLED PORK is the answer! i thought pickled pork was soaked in vinegar, but no, it is the brine solution used in the uk to make bacon etc. it was on offer too...so even better!

so, tonight i am going to tackle my piece of pickled pork and have a go at cooking it.....i will let you know the results!

anyone else tried pickled pork...was it like gammon etc? knowing my look it will taste of feet!

yipee!!

i cooked the joint following my usual delia recipe and yes it was just like a piece of baked ham. no where near as salty, but it tasted devine. the whole joint had gone by the evening. a success, will definately buy some more.

prior to cooking it i thinly sliced off a couple of pieces and popped them on the BBQ, Mmmmmm, bacon too, it smelt fantastic and tasted lovely.

pickled pork.....it's the future!!

whoops...just seen my spelling mistake on the original post..should be "luck" not "look"...was so exicted about my ham joint!
    Last edited by willow; 28th March 2010 at 08:28 AM.

Discussed very recently here:

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29049

I've never roasted it, but will give that a try - sounds great!

My usual recipe:

Peel but don't chop a couple of onions. Stud them with 4 cloves each.
    In a big pot put the rinsed pickled pork, the studded onions, a dozen black peppercorns and a couple of bayleafs.
    Add enough water to cover the pork by half an inch.
    Cover the pot and bring it to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 hours.
    Add 4-6 peeled, halved carrots, bring back to simmer for half an hour.
    Add 4 peeled spuds, halved if you must. Simmer until almost cooked.
    Add half a washed cabbage, cut into 4 chunks.
    Simmer until tender.

Eat with English Mustard and soda bread. Tastes even better the next day!

The same recipe works for great corned beef too.

There is an English Butcher in Lunn Avenue Mt Wellington for the Auckland people, he was aparently ex butcher to the Queen!!!!!!

http://expatbestofbritish.telegraph....glish-butcher/
    GRAN

I've been cooking pickled pork for years, its the best. Strange that you are having problems getting unsmoked bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gran View Post
    There is an English Butcher in Lunn Avenue Mt Wellington for the Auckland people, he was aparently ex butcher to the Queen!!!!!!

http://expatbestofbritish.telegraph....glish-butcher/
    GRAN
    I was going to suggest that too, I saw a sign in the window advertising Gammon the other day when I went to get some of his yummy sausages. Had no idea what it was though!

Which butcher, Willow? Was it the one in Richmond Mall or somewhere else?

Ooh, I always thought pickled pork sounded disgusting - now I know better. Will have to try some. Thank you for being brave enough to try!

wakefield butcher ! i am on commission!

i too thought pickled pork was going to be something well dodgy...like pickled eggs..yuk.

that butcher in richmond is awesome though, found some munster (real stinker) french cheese in there at christmas. i wrapped it on christmas eve for hubbie and stuck it under the tree...he kept blaming the dog for the smell! it is his favourite and i was so excited at my find i was fit to burst.......simple things!

Quote Originally Posted by Fern01 View Post
    I've been cooking pickled pork for years, its the best. Strange that you are having problems getting unsmoked bacon.
    Can I ask why you say this is strange only I haven't been able to get unsmoked either, the butcher told me he doesn't do it & just looked oddly at me. Have you managd to get it at lots of places, please tell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast