Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moses basket

Default Moses basket

Got another one for you...

Can I bring my babies moses basket, obviously the actual basket is wicker so the shipping men say no.
    But its mamas and papas and so expensive, rather not stick it on Ebay.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/declare From MAF's own website.

There is no law against bringing risk goods into the country as long as you declare them. When you declare items, your goods will be inspected. They may be treated and returned if considered safe.
    From the quick guide mentioned on that website.
    DECLARE All wooden items, drums, carvings, spears and masks, items stuffed with seeds or straw, made of bamboo, cane, coconut or straw, or hair, fur, unprocessed wool, skin, feathers and bone.
    The potential hassle with anything which is of organic origin is that it should not be capable of being grown on or germinated, and so bringing a non-native or harmful species into NZ. Therefore, things like normal wooden or reed, rush, etc., furnishing materials are no problem whatever - they're long dead. If you have things of this kind to pack, though, and they're described in the listing as wicker or cane, make sure they get packed in the same boxes, as they will almost certainly be inspected, and there is a charge per box for whatever is inspected.

The other hassle with EVERYTHING you bring is that it must not have any organic material on it, so be careful to remove all earth, plant debris and/or cobwebs, chrysalises and the like. Not that I'm suggesting these would be on your baby's cradle - talking in general terms now. Forum members have had an inspector spot one little bit of cobweb on the underneath of a piece of furniture, and from that, insist on the whole contents of a container being fumigated. It's really worth being sure this doesn't happen.

I wouldn't take too much notice about wicker & what removal men say, they frightened me that way but turned out to be nonsense. Maybe if you had some kind of raw type then there may be a problem but issues with any of mine including my M&P moses basket, got a good price on Trade me aswell We valso bought chairs from the Pier & toy baskets with no problems at all

I have got baskets going through a MAF inspection on Thursday after our container landed on Saturday so I will do a quick post after that.

what is a moses basket?

hrm.... (lol I suppose I could have done that one myself).

So it's a bassinet?

Quote Originally Posted by vickster78 View Post
    Got another one for you...

Can I bring my babies moses basket, obviously the actual basket is wicker so the shipping men say no.
    But its mamas and papas and so expensive, rather not stick it on Ebay.
    We took a moses basket on the plane when we went to NZ in December. I did contact MAF before we went and they told me they would look at it and if they thought it needed treating they would do it.

When we landed we declared it and it wasn't even inspected.

So, a bassinet is a Moses basket?

(I suppose we should be asking what they get called in NZ. )

We brought ours, I don't think we mentioned it but just because I didn't think to.

If you're worried just put it in a box along with any other things you think Maf might like to check, just from an ease point of view more than anything else, then write clearly what it is.

I would definitely bring it, moses baskets are pretty pricey over here - plus I then managed to sell mine on TM once we no longer needed it, for more than I paid for it.

Cheers

Tia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast