Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning Residents Visa Vs IRRV

Default Returning Residents Visa Vs IRRV

Hello Everyone,
    It's been quite a while since my last set of questions, I have been quite sensible in planning the move after reading experiences shared by so many people especially over the past few months.

I got the blue stickers around mid february this year, the role at my current work place has been quite challenging and fairly good with respect to experience gained, as such I'd like to make a move very cautiously & only after securing a job in NZ before the actual move (which is quite a task in itself).

As I will need to activate my PR by 15th Feb 2011, is it ok if I plan a short reccie, activate my PR and return back to UK. Later I plan to make the move by Jan 2012 after winding up my work here & making some effective savings.

My questions are,

1. After I travel to NZ in 2012, will I be eligible to apply for IRRV in 2013?
    (I will definitely fall short of 180 days mark for 1st year but would have been in NZ for rest of 2nd year). I already have part of the answer (I assume so, as I read it along one old thread sometime back)...that is, I will need to apply for extended RRV.

2. Will I be eligible to apply for Citizenship after 5 years from 2011 i.e. Feb'2016?
    i.e. I will need to apply for subsequent RRV's/IRRV and then apply for citizenship after 5 years of activating the PR.

Appreciate any information on this regards, thanks a tonne in advance

Your question 1. Going by this http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/29471.htm, I believe you won't qualify for IRRV in 2013 under your scenario on the grounds of time spent in the country. You might possibly, on one of the other criteria, depending on your own actions.

Your question 2. I think that's right - subject to correction, anyone?

Thanks JandM, One more question just creeps up, how many times can I apply for "extended RRV"? I mean does it have a limit or I can just apply for RRV every time it expires. Does it have any impact on credibility of citizenship application?

Reading the NZIS website, it looks as though you can apply for a renewal of RRV as many times as it takes you to qualify for IRRV, as long as you do it from within NZ. (NZIS are not obliged to renew someone's RRV if they have let it lapse and are applying from outside the country. If they don't feel the person has shown sufficient commitment to NZ and therefore don't renew, in effect the applicant has blown their PR, because they don't then have the necessary visa to go back - they would have to apply for PR all over again.)

When you apply to renew, the length of RRV they will give you depends on your record of being in NZ under PR up to that date. If it's obvious that, though you didn't immediately do so, you have now started to live consistently in NZ, you are likely to get a 1-year extension.

Here's the definition of the residence condition for citizenship. http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.ns...p?OpenDocument

Permanent Residence on or after 21 April 2005
    If you applied for and received permanent residence after 21 April 2005 you are required to fulfil the following requirements. You are required to have:

1. Been present in New Zealand
    for at least 1,350 days with a Permanent Resident Permit issued by Immigration New Zealand during the 5 years immediately before you make your application; and
    for at least 240 days with a Permanent Resident Permit issued by Immigration New Zealand in each of those 5 years; and
    2. Fully met any conditions imposed by Immigration New Zealand in regard to your Permanent Resident Permit.

Please Note: If you can show that there are exceptional circumstances that warrant a reduction, you may be considered as long as you have a minimum presence in New Zealand of 450 days with a Permanent Resident Permit in the 20 months before you make your application.
    (I don't know what they would consider 'exceptional circumstances' for that last paragraph.)

I would have thought you could qualify for an IRRV if you applied in July 2013. If you look at the 2 previous 12 month periods, you have

July 2011 - July 2012 - approx 6 months (184 days) resident
    July 2012 - July 2013 - 365 days resident

That's the way I understand it anyway

Ah, he'll qualify in the course of 2013 on those lines, yes, agreed, but not at the point in 2013 which is 2 years from first activating his PR, when the original 2 years' RRV runs out (which is what is underlying the original question if I'm reading him right ).

So on a related point....

my RRV was granted in London on 22nd Dec. 2008. I entered NZ on 5 Jan 2009 and have been here ever since.

At the end of this year I am planning to have a holiday in England and Germany over the Christmas period.

I will in all likelihood fly out before 22 Dec. and return after 22 Dec.

When and where do I apply for a new RRV, hopefully iRRV? Would it be in London or Berlin over the Christmas break? Or can I apply in Wellington before I leave? Or do i have to rethink my plans?

you dont need RRV or IRRV to get citizenship so i don't see why it would effect that application providing you fulfill the other requirements.
    Are you intending to go in and out of the country often maybe you wont need RRV or IRRV at all once you are settled.

Wooly it would seem sensible to apply for extention or IRRV before you leave the country.

So I just spoke to NZIS, and I could apply for a new 12 month RRV before leaving or apply for a iRRV overseas after 5 Jan 2011. You cannot apply for an iRRV before the two years residency period is up.

....or I could arrange my trip to get back beofre 5th Jan 2011.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast