Thread: Viewing BBC and other UK based programmes in NZ

Default Viewing BBC and other UK based programmes in NZ

Been asked before and various answers but now with many thanks to Steve of "The Coopers" there may be a way. Well there is a way and I've seen it working on his computer but I need my technical assitant to get ours past the Belkin router we use

https://www.expatsurfer.co.uk/

Check it out, it's all explained there

If you want to watch UK telly live then this program lets you do it for free - haven't figured out a way of recording though!

http://www.filmon.com/tv/

Being a bit dim here but it looks like a subscription site to me, is there a bypass?

It be interested to here user experiences of this one as I'd have thought the bbc would plug that expatsurfer.co.uk IP loophole soon enough - they seem to be pretty ruthless with proxy IPs at least.

Have just spent about an hour on FilmOn HDi and it seems to work brilliantly. Just watched a terrible comedy on BBC3 plus some music videos on 4Music. The only problem now is my download limit!

If you want to watch BBC news channel you can watch here for free
    http://www.atdhe.net/watch-bbc-news.php

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    Being a bit dim here but it looks like a subscription site to me, is there a bypass?
    BBC and quite a few others seem to be free, yippee

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I know a few people who use My Private Network here in the States, which is similar to Expat Surfer.

It is a subscription service but you are not subscribing to a website. Basically what you are doing is setting up a VPN on a UK-hosted server. When you log onto t'internet in NZ (or the US in my case) then your IP address shows your location. Due to digital rights restrictions, the BBC (and other online, on demand TV) won't allow residents in other countries to view their content.

With a VPN, you log on to their servers through an online service and once you're logged on, it makes it look like your IP address is in the UK, therefore allowing you to access the UK TV websites.

Although this is marketed at those wanting to view UK TV, there is an added benefit in that your online activity has an added layer of security - their security - which means your online transactions are actually more secure.

Companies have been using VPNs for years now enabling employees that are "on the road" to access company servers and email. This is just extending that concept into the consumer world with a good marketing reason to do so!

We're on Scorch,wireless, as can't get broadband via phone line as no ports at present in the local cabinet.............

http://www.atdhe.net/watch-bbc-news.php works fine with an occasional freeze where as FilmOn HDi is hopeless complete freezing and very pixelated pictures.

Looks like we'll need to wait till the ports are free before we can get a decent service and by then the BBC will have closed the loopholes ...........

You could try thetelly.net An old friend of mine runs it and yes you need to pay for it, but it's apparently straight from the Beeb.