Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadband - high speed online - companies??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Broadband - high speed online - companies??

Hmm I know this topic has been covered/discussed quite many times. However, I am in the big problematic situation here. My wife's company is willing to keep her as an employee even though she's will moving to New Zealand. However, her boss was asking her couple of questions...such as how's the connection, how much does it cost for this kind of services, and is it unlimited connection? and etc.

Now I checked so many broadband companies and mostly are 10Gb limit, however Telecom provides the "Navigate" ones which will keep staying on the broadband connection even though pass the limit of 10Gb. But, it will be charged .2 per megabyte. Now that would not be good enough, wouldn't it?? because the nature of her work would be exceeding that limitations. (she's a software engineer)

any thoughts from internet/computer/IT experts ? :cool :smile :smile

I am miles away from the 'techie' label but I know that we could have unlimited with our supplier. Warren or Richard will probably be able to answer it properly.

In NZ there are two types of broadband internet, either unlimited capacity, but pay by the byte, or capped with reduced performance after the cap. There is a third sort, often called unlimited bitstream, but it isnt.

Paradoxically, the faster the rate, the smaller the cap...

I've got xtra Adventure package, $69.95 a month, 10GB cap, did 13GB last month, no slowdowns. It claims to be 2mbit max, but the actual speed is limited by what your ADSL connection can do, which is determined by how far you are from the ADSL concetrator. My connection is 7.8mbit/sec, so on a good day I get 650kbyte/sec downloads!

10GB is quite a lot really. Its not if you have kids who P2P, but for the rest of us, even who maintain systems elsewhere its fine. I dont see why a software engineer should shift that much stuff. Even if you download a 100mb CVS tree daily every working day, its still only 2GB. Or telnet on line, thats nothing.

I have a similar situation, if ever I get to NZ after sorting this NZQA mess and getting my WTR through SMC.

How fast can you get a high speed connection? I have read that its normally the tenant that applies for it when you rent a place. Is there a resource on the net that gives you which places in NZ have dsl availability? I am also kinda surprised that in NZ there the dsl are capped or expensive.

thx for the replies guys...
    hkyamong, you said "I have read that its normally the tenant that applies for it when you rent a place". Where did you get this information from? that would not good...

I am probing for places to stay. It seems that electricity, phone and broadband internet connection are connected by the tenant. I think it works pretty much like electricity, where the physical connection is already there and you need to just switch it on. I mean you as the tenant asking the electric company to switch it on.

Some document on telecom website do suggest that its the tenant that applies for this. You can apply online in advance before moving to a place. So this leads me to my next hunt, how do I know if the place I am renting is dsl ready?

Since I will be bringing in my work it will be real bummer to rent out a place and telecom telling you that they can't connect dsl on your place.

If you get a rental, you will normally be responsible for paying for power and telecomms. You will take these services over when you arrive.

There will almost certainly be a phone line in the rental, and you can get it online for phone within 24 hours, usually minutes. Just call telecom on your mobile.

ADSL takes about a week to be comissioned.

To find out if you can get ADSL somewhere, get the phone number of somewhere nearby (eg a dairy), and use the checker on the Telecom site to see if it can be ADSL enabled. If the checker says maybe, in my experience it means no.

If you are out of range of ADSL, check if you are in a cable area, or within the Woosh coverage area. Unlikely, but worth checking.

When we lived rural, we were out of broadband range, so we got a second telephone line, a modem, and a SMC Barricade router, and just set it to autoconnect on demand. Worked slowly but adequately for four computers...

The minimum contract term for most services is a month, so it is feasible to sign up for ADSL in a rental, unlike, for example, the UK, where a 12 month minimum term applies, and even if you were only there for three months you would still have to pay a for a years worth of service. As an unknown customer, you may need to lodge a bond.

I've just had Jetstream installed. (Xtra)

I have gone for a cheap version. $45 pmonth for 1GB with a 1MB download and 128k upload.

10GB is a big limit to exceed, but if your gonna do that then you should look at a business contract.

It took a week to install my phone line from Telecom, the rental i have had 3 lines already in, just needed an engineer visit to confirm which one was mine (my rental is a basement flat to a main house) and set it active.

Jetstream was activated within 2 days and ADSL modem etc arrived the day after the phone call. Telecom set up your account then maybe a month later they send you a bill, its up to you whether you pay it or not :mrgreen:

John :cool

John,
    thank's so much on the feedback. Yeah we are still doing some more research on the best deal on the highspeed online.

Default DSL

I found the whole process to be very easy, you call 0800 800 123 from your mobile, tell them where you live, and that you want broadband, they give you the options, you pick one, and that's it. The more you pay, the better it is.

As part of my work, I've had to speak to several isps for customers, I've found them very helpful, more so in the uk.

I've went for a half meg connection, and performance is fine, downlands of movies and tv shows from newsgroups are very fast. (Tv is rubbish in NZ, I don't want to wait months to watch Dr Who). Only problem I had was when watching streaming video from some servers in China (live sports, until I get sky installed), the performance was quite poor.

I may upgrade to 1mb when we move house and start doing video conf stuff, or sign up with skype.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast