Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone moved from NZ to Canada and then back again?

Default anyone moved from NZ to Canada and then back again?

or from Canada to NZ? what are the contrasts and similarities?

Your not on the move are you?

We had some friends from Canada (where I am from) who lived here for 5 yrs and recently moved back to B.C. to be closer to family in Alberta. After a month I got an email saying that they think they made a mistake and warned us to be 100% sure that we spent a lot of time over there before making that big of a move back. She said Vancouver is colder & busier than they thought and hasn't the access to beaches, outdoors, etc. that NZ has. They say that it is good to be back in Canada and of course love their home country but are homesick for Auckland and the lifestyle.

That really, really surprised me because B.C. is such an awesome province, great weather, lifestyle, etc. It's my husband's/my "plan B" to NZ if we find it is too far away. But hearing from our friends are making us second guess it now (which worries me). Canada is such a great country and I definitely would consider it as a nice option. People are friendly, it has excellent cities and I guess I just love the way of life there but due to the weather in many places (except BC), I just can't justify moving back.

If you were to consider Canada (which I still would definitely consider as a great option to NZ), make sure you just go on a recce trip like you would any other place. Wonder if there is a Emigrate Canada forum??
    Last edited by globetrecker; 14th June 2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    or from Canada to NZ? what are the contrasts and similarities?

You`re not thinking of leaving us are you?!

i (and we) have moved back and forth a fair bit between nz and canada (we're canadian)

i'm also really curious as to why you want to know? (inquiring minds!)

there was a good thread comparing the two on the forum in the not too distant past

i miss nz which is why i need to return, its purely an emotional connection for me, rationally we are much better off here in Canada...but the heart isn't very rational (and those rose tinted specs get really convincing when you feel home-sick for nz!)

what i want most is the choice, i want nz PR so i don't feel exiled from the other side of the planet which i also consider 'home'. if i had the right to live in nz when-ever i wanted, i'd probably stay here in Canada for the foreseeable future, but it's OH's advancing age and the race to get PR NOW (before he's too old) that has us going through the hoops. otherwise its alot comfier/easier to live in Canada.

We are an immense country compared to NZ, so not easy to draw comparisons, as it would depend what part of the country you're looking at. Generally the standard of living is higher here and easier to obtain. Culturally we are very similiar to NZ.

For some random generalizations(since I don't know why you're asking) we don't pay school fees or GP visit fees and we all have central heating. Pension and benefits are more common here. I'd say its safe to say Kiwis are in general far more friendly than Canadians (we're polite, but not friendly in same lovely way)

I met a good friend through this forum who is a Kiwi who has now immigrated to Canada.

Wondering why you're asking too....
    We spent one year in Adelaide, Australia, and I just can't identify with any of the portraits of Australia painted on here, we lived in a gorgeous district with very friendly, polite, educated people who couldn't do enough to help us, had Internet access free and other excellent services at the library. Better weather than Canada I suspect, and we had the Adelaide hills behind us and the sea in front, all within 20 minutes max.
    Just a thought....

Quote Originally Posted by globetrecker View Post
    Vancouver is colder & busier than they thought and hasn't the access to beaches, outdoors, etc. that NZ has.
    This is part of the story that I tell people here in Vancouver who ask about why I am moving to Auckland. First I mention the weather. Two days ago the high in Vancouver was 16 degrees. This is a bit low for this time of year - today was in the 20s but we have highs under 15 for almost all of May and the first part of June. According to Metservice, Auckland had a high of 17 yesterday and it is winter, or at least late fall. Vancouver is supposed to be heading into summer.

Then I show them a picture of one of the beaches we visited which like most NZ beaches have very few people on them. And I make sure I tell them that the water is warm too. People swim in the ocean in the summer here in Vancouver but I have never swum in the ocean here as it is just too cold for me. The water actually stays pretty much the same temperature year round.

Lastly I tell them about the houses. I know that Kiwis think that house prices there are really high but Vancouver is even higher. My view is based on just web searches and maybe the ones that we looked at are crap but the pictures seem to show that reasonable places can be found for under $600,000 NZD. A detached home in many parts of Vancouver would start at $1 million CAD ($1.4 million NZD). Ocean views would be extra. (an interesting link here if you want to see what $1million can buy http://www.crackshackormansion.com/)

When I told an ex-Kiwi co-worker that I was leaving work to go to NZ for a year, he said that once I was there, I wouldn't want to come back.
    Last edited by Millieandme; 14th June 2010 at 03:05 PM.

thanks all.. just a nucleus of a thought that may not come to anything. Once our 2 years is up, we can return to NZ at any time?
    If so, we can have a look at canada for a coupla years (ontario) as we have family there and it is closer to the uk and NYC and then see what we think. After all, who says you have to go to one place and stay there OR not have the luxury of options? I wouldnt consider another move as a fail but more as an adventure! I am however aware that its easy to get addicted to the whole "start again" excitement!

I am a Canadian that moved to NZ from the UK in 1997. Three years later, I abandoned NZ to move to Canada when I decided (foolishly) that I was unhappy here. In July, I brought my husband (also a Canuck) and children back to NZ as this is where we would rather be. Granted we were living in the city in Canada and things might have been different in a small town, but we're just happier here. So far (almost a year in), things are better here. I don't think we'll ever move back.

Having visited relis in Vancouver its not for me I do not like big cities and Vancouver is contiually growing my FIL lived in 1997 surrounded by fields in 2004 when we visited he was surrounded and had to drive a fair amount to get back in the open, I dread to think what it is like now.

Whats more worrying is most of these people would need to commute to CBD so the morning trek gets worse.
    Do not get me wrong Vancouver is beautiful as is most of Canada, but weather is a negative and the vast distances between anywhere.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast