Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 weeks in!

Default 2 weeks in!

Two weeks in and what a wonderful fortnight its been. It feels much longer than this as we’ve packed so much in.

The journey was long but at least its one way, and it was made fairly pleasant by the fab plane and entertainment on the Emirates A380 airbus. When we arrived at customs, we had a bit of stress due to Jax’s missing hiking boots. They wanted to inspect our boots after declaring them on the landing card. But in which of the 5 suitcases were the bloomin’ things?? We had to go through all of them on the floor before we found them but at least the bio-control lady...she say YES! ( she was impressed with jax’s obsessive toothbrush scrubbing with Jeyes!)

Matt’s special moment happened when asking one of the immigration guys if we should go in the NZ residents passport control queue.. he replied “Yeah...sweet az!”..such a cute drawl!

Straight on to the Coromandel for 3 days of recuperation. After a white knuckle ride in the dark, in a strange car, and suffering from sleep deprivation, over the mountainous tracks/roads with the sat nav conking out, we just about made it to out idyllic retreat. See attached fotos! It was sooo worth it in the end.

Back to reality in Auckland, and exploring our new town (Botany)and gaff. Our first supermarket experience in New world and Pak n save went well. We were impressed with the value of seasonal stuff and fruit and veg seemed good quality. And as others have said. Some things are expensive, some cheaper than UK. We love waking up to see pukeko birds, minahs, and sea birds strutting outside the patio whilst we have a breakfast al fresco! Still cant get over how mild it is, even on a wet and windy day. Matt even got sun burn on his head! Have now dug out some sun cream for him!
    We’ve enjoyed the sales for the queens birthday, and bagged a couple of bargains! Some good shopping in Botany! Sorted out NZ sim cards, bicycles and a car and out tax numbers in the first week.

House hunting has been an experience. We were looking for a nice rental...emphasis on nice.. which ruled out a lot of the available ones. We have been shown some minging houses! Dirty, smelly with decor your Gran would have probably implemented!

So We were lucky spotting a new rental on Trade me, arranged privately with the landlords. We quickly jumped in and bagged the house, and move in on Saturday. The landlords have been so kind and helpful by lending us lots of bits and piecesfor the house until out container arrives.

Its a lovely modern house in a quiet location in Cockle Bay, close to the beach, Howick and Botany shopping! Just perfect! And i cant wait until we get settled and can stop living out of suitcases!
    Matt has started his job, and is still adjusting to the kiwi pace of life and attitudes. But his colleagues seem a decent bunch, mostly expats from UK or S.Africa lol!

Me? I’m Feeling a bit lonesome and bored. Roll on my nurse registration so i can get applying for jobs too. I am meanwhile looking into some voluntary work to help fill a few hours. Its quite hard when you don’t know a soul, other than your OH!
    So all in all its going well. Theres so much to do in a pleasant climate with a smaller population and more to look forward too.

beach near B&B

sunset from deck at B&B

sunrise from deck at B&B

fish n chips in newspaper..and champagne!
    Last edited by mattandjax; 18th June 2010 at 03:52 PM.

Wonderful sharing, Mattandjax! Look forward to your more awesome experience in such a new "home"!

Superb! good luck both, please keeps us posted on the house hunting, etc.

So glad your loving the start of your new beginings, so so jealous of you both :0)

Good Luck

Wow. Congratulations! And what wonderful 'winter' scenes!! I can't wait to get there.

thanks everyone!... the pictures do not lie!
    your time will soon come hopefully...and it will all still be here for you to enjoy too!

Sounds peaceful and beautiful...looking forward to being there in 9 days!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Sounds like you're making the most of life already. Congrats on the house and Coromandel looks amazing. Oh to have that to look forward to hopefully in a couple of months.

Here's to the rest of your new life together

Matt&Jax,

Thanks for taking the time to share your notes. I enjoyed being there with you "in spirit". Ha! The pictures are fabulous!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast