Thread: Newly arrived PR are we allowed to get benefits?

Default Newly arrived PR are we allowed to get benefits?

I arrived in Auckland about three weeks ago with my family with an approved PR under Skilled Migrant Category (with no job offer). We went to Work and Income as job seekers as advised by the "Welcome to New Zealand - Guide for Newcomers" booklet from the NZ immigration.

When we got there, our case officer said we can are qualified to receive "accommodation assistance" (only about $30 per week). She said we can also qualify for "hardship assistance (?)" in case the money in our bank accounts drops down to a certain amount.

Question is, will receiving benefits from Work and Income affect our PR status? Are we supposed to receive assistance despite migrating under the Skilled Migrants Category?

All we want is to find job to support our family but then Work and Income is offering these benefits to us. I just want to know if this will have an adverse effect to our PR status. Thank you for your comments.

I didn't think you could receive anything for 2 years unless in dire hardship which you had to prove first and even then what you would get is limited. I could be wrong though I am quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by Margarita View Post
    I didn't think you could receive anything for 2 years unless in dire hardship which you had to prove first and even then what you would get is limited. I could be wrong though I am quite often.
    That's my understanding as well and by dire hardship then mean unable to survive so unless you have no money whatsoever then you'd be unlikely to qualify.

I can't see how it would have any effect on your PR status, once you have PR then the only way to lose it as far as I know would be to commit a serious crime that would lead to you being deported.

"I can't see how it would have any effect on your PR status, once you have PR then the only way to lose it as far as I know would be to commit a serious crime that would lead to you being deported.[/QUOTE]"

One of my friends told me to be careful in receiving assistance from Work to Income as they send files/reports to the Immigration and might affect my PR status. I don't know if he's wrong or right...I'm still confused.

Have you tried the obvious? Asking Work and Income directly if receiving benefits affect PR status?

Edwin, did you apply per form INZ1000 (http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...0/0/1000.pdf)?
    On page 23 you are asked which personal resources you will use. This is after your declaration that you have "sufficient personal resources ..."
    However further down on the same page there are some details given for situations when you might though be(come) eligible for certain benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Edwin, did you apply per form INZ1000 (http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...0/0/1000.pdf)?
    On page 23 you are asked which personal resources you will use. This is after your declaration that you have "sufficient personal resources ..."
    However further down on the same page there are some details given for situations when you might though be(come) eligible for certain benefits.
    I applied under INZ1105 not under INZ1000 so I need to read again what's stated there.