Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why move to NZ from US or UK?

Default Why move to NZ from US or UK?

Hello friends,

I have been seeing a lots of immigrants from US or UK or other countries from EU in this forum. To be honest, I am a little bit confused why you guys want to move to NZ?

Sorry, please forgive me to ask such question. Cause I do see US and UK as nice countries to live and work. At least they're much better than most of other countries around the world. Nice living environment and good education/social insurance systems.

Then why move to NZ? More income? More chances? More healthy life? Or any other convincing reason?

No offense at all, just curious about it.

Best Regards
    Dfer

Fewer people in NZ!

I've been curious about this topic too, but haven't got any decent answer in the past. Is "laid-back" culture/environment one of the reasons? I know in the UK the worklife can be pretty hectic so moving to NZ will give you more time to spend out of work (?).

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    Fewer people in NZ!
    This can be achieved simply by moving from downtown to the countryside, isn't it?

In my country, the urban area is totally different with the suburb area in all fields. e.g. Social insurance, education, medical service...That's the reason why you can't solve the problem by moving to rural area. But I assume this is not the case as in developed countries such as US or UK. Right?

probably best to trawl through some likes/dislikes threads as the reasons will be different for everyone

We just fancied a bit of a change and some adventure, but the main difference is the amount of space and countryside here, with a lack of crowds. This appeals to many Brits, me included, as it can seem very crowded in Britain, even in the countryside. The roads are crammed, and there is a lot of litter. There are lots of great things about Britain, but NZ appeals to those who like more space and a less consumerist life, I think.

Plus the weather is LOADS better - big consideration for someone from Britain.

I am a Java Developer in the UK. In order to have a successful career I need to work in London as there are so few jobs available anywhere else (and those that are do not pay as well).

However, while I work in central London I cannot afford to live there. The area I live in is over an hour's commute from my office and the fares for public transport cost me approximately £116 ($254 NZ) per month. The commute is entirely underground and pretty unpleasant.

Recently I became a father and I am concerned about the lack of good schools near where I currently live. The house we live in is valued at £280,000 ($614,000 NZ) and if we really stretched ourselves we could probably afford a similar sized house in an area with good schools for £350,000 ($767,000 NZ). This would mean moving further out of London and commuting for a longer time each day. The cost of commuting would probably rise to about £372 ($815) per month. I would likely not see my daughter during the week as she would be in bed when I left home in the morning and when I arrived home in the evening.

I realise these sums of money will sound astronomical to some, but it is precisely because so much money buys so little in the UK that I feel I need to leave. Every year thousands of people emigrate to the UK for a better life and I say good luck to them. But many of them will find that it is in their interest to live in extremely modest circumstances and save money so that they can move back home with their earnings at some point in the future.

So I hope that gives you some insight. Most from the UK will not be coming to New Zealand for higher wages (in fact, I expect to have lower wages relative to what I earn in London) but for a better quality of life for their families, away from the overpriced and crowded environment of the UK.

Hey BigRed, my thoughts exactly. It's really great for bringing up kids.

I am a single 40 year old bloke and I cannot afford to live in the UK where the work is.
    I have rented all my life and now my pension is worth nothing. I thought I need to move somewhere I can afford to buy a house and still save for retirement, NZ fills those needs with the added bonus of more space, less of the throw away attitude that I abhor and better weather. It also means I don't need to learn another language :blush:

In the present economic situation I really do wonder why anyone would willing give up a job and whatever little bit of security they have. Ultimately I think people are looking for a different or brighter outlook to what they presently have. This cartoon from the NZ Herald this week, whilst erring typically on the extreme of crass, says it all. We always think that that the grass is greener or that we will be better off elsewhere in some way or another.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/news-carto...ectid=10665376

Rarely does anyone move here for financial gain, although some do fall into the trap of believing that the cost of living will be lower.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast