Thread: Whangarei Schools

Default Whangarei Schools

..Hi all .... Please help - Could do with some up to date advice re Whangarei schools and areas.

Recently landed in NZ and at the mo possibly settling in Orewa however an opportunity in Whangarei is also on the cards.....

Now I can see you get a lot more housing wise for your money in Northland compared to Rodney area but what is the latest info on ............

Whangarei Boys School ????
    Any good recommended primary / intermediate schools ?????

What areas do you recommend or do we stay clear of. Don't really want to live immediately in Whanagari but equally not right out in the middle of nowhere with three kids who would probably then need ferrying everywhere.

Decisions, decisions !!!!!
    Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by louloumama3 View Post
    ..Hi all .... Please help - Could do with some up to date advice re Whangarei schools and areas.

Recently landed in NZ and at the mo possibly settling in Orewa however an opportunity in Whangarei is also on the cards.....

Now I can see you get a lot more housing wise for your money in Northland compared to Rodney area but what is the latest info on ............

Whangarei Boys School ????
    Any good recommended primary / intermediate schools ?????

What areas do you recommend or do we stay clear of. Don't really want to live immediately in Whanagari but equally not right out in the middle of nowhere with three kids who would probably then need ferrying everywhere.

Pm if you wish for further information.
    http://www.enz.org/forum/images/smilies/blooonana.gif

Decisions, decisions !!!!!
    Many thanks
    Hello and welcome! Whangarei boys school is very good as are most of the schools. Maunu/WHG primary are noted as particularly good but to be honest many of the little ones on the outskirts are reported as being excellent. My neighbour is quite high up in education but if you find a location you like pm me and I can ask her about the local school. Ref areas: There are certain areas to avoid like anywhere but Kamo, kensington, Maunu and parts of Onerahi are good. Some of the outlying areas are also lovely. When we first got here an estate agent put a cross on the map of all the areas not to live in which helped.
    PM me is you wish for more info

Hi, I've been in Whangarei for 3 weeks now. Husband teaches at the Boys High School, little one at whangarei primary. As a long standing teacher, husband says he is impressed at the standard of behaviour at the boys school - miles better than any he has seen in the UK for many many years. The headteacher is a stickler for discipline and following rules - big emphasis on boys needing good examples from adults and firm boundaries. They have a very informative website. The primary school seems lovely so far, but it has a very strict catchment area as do all primary schools in whangarei. Kamo primary is good, but be careful which side of the main road you live on. To the west to should go to kamo primary, to the east likely you will go to tikipunga primary which is noot so good.

The ERO website has all the school inspection records which are pretty useful to read.

Talking

Sounds good. Whangarei is very diverse and has lots of little pockets of not so good areas. I hope you are enjoying it so far but also know that it can be a little difficult to adjust so pm me if you wish to meet up for a coffee/advice/shoulder/ anything really!!!

We live in Kensington and have been here 18 months.

Bilbo

Don't know whether you are interested in private schools. I teach at the new school, Huanui Collegein Whangarei, and (I know I'm biased, so don't comment!!) I love it! Small, and we now have Years 7-10 - started IGCSE this year.

Is there any private primary school in Whangarei?

Sorry - my question is a little off-track but as you're from Whangarei.....

Someone asked in another thread about crime and drugs in Whangarei. Is it a problem? I'm eyeing Whangarei Heads.

Thanks....

Whangarei probably has no more problems with crime and drugs than any other place. There have been a number of P lab busts in Northland recently though. However, I live in Whangarei and I like it, a laid back kind of place. In comparison to the UK, burglary levels are low, but there is a fair amount or drink related crime - domestic violence, drink driving etc.

I am inquiring about schooling in or around kamo and Kauri, for children 8 & 10 coming from England. Also does anyone know if there is any where for the 8 yr old girl to continue with her dance lessons.

Hi, I realise I am looking at a very old post, but we are considering a move from Auckland.my main concern is moving my daughters age 13 and 16 and have been looking at Huanui College as an option. Do you find students transfer from NCEA to Cambridge exams ok? Is it easy for new pupils to settle in at your school? And how would you rate Whangarei girls in comparison ? Would appreciate your input Thanks