Thread: doctor salaries

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default doctor salaries

hello there i was doing some reading abt doctor salaries in NZ and got different answers on different websites. Is there kind of standard national salary for doctors or does it differ. In Otago for example, how much approximately would a house officer ( year 2) be earning a year on average.

any doctors here ? i have some questions regarding how easy is it to get a Job offer in new zealand once u pass the NZREX exam, knowing that u finished ur PGY1 ( first year after graduating) in ur home country, and providing recommendation letters from the consultants u worked with and in an ongoing employment in ur home country when applying for a job in new zealand.
    this subject is worrying me alot, because i dont want to spend time and money doing the exams to know later on that u cant get a job in NZ as a house officer.
    pls need answers from any doctors or anybody in this field who might know something.
    thnks

Don't know much about this but there is a national union for doctors and they have a salary agreement. I think it is called MECCA.

I don't think juniors are well paid in NZ but it would be worth approaching departments in the speciality you are interested in at this stage to talk about job opportunities.

MECA (multi employer collective agreement) covers the Ts & Cs of medical employment. I can't answer your question regarding employment and NZREX as I never had to sit it. You'd be better off asking the NZ medical council what you would need to qualify for registration - you need MCNZ registration in order to be able to work.

From the visa point of view you will need an offer of employment before you apply (but you need a job offer before you can register with the medical council anyway) so I would think about where you want to work. Most house officers rotate between specialities so picking just one isn't really going to get you anywhere. Try contacting the HR depts in the areas you'd like to live to see what the chances of work are. They have to recruit NZ citizens and residents before overseas applicants so you may have to go somewhere less popular if you're just on a work visa.

Salary scales are agreed nationally and you are started off on whichever point of the scale is most appropriate for someone of your experience (in practice the lowest possible).

Not wishing to be insulting but you will have to show a better standard of written English than your postings if you are serious about working here. Textspeak in anything (including informal emails) is likely to count heavily against you.

This link will give you all the salary bands for house officers in NZ (scroll down) http://www.waikatodhb.govt.nz/page/pageid/2145849538
    It is from one specific district health board but is taken from the latest collective agreement so will be the same across NZ.

If you are interested in working as a medic in NZ I recommend you speak to NZ Medics http://www.nzmedics.co.nz who recruit internationally for doctors in NZ and are a not for profit (i believe they are funded from the district health boards).