Hi Guys,

New to the site but see what a vast knowledge there is. I was hoping you could help me out in my quest to get to NZ?

I have done extensive research using the NZ immigration website but am still pondering on my best move. Basically I am from the UK and have a New Zealand partner who lives permenantly in NZ. We have been in a relationship for 5 years. However, we have only lived together on and off (totalling over 20 months) as a result of university etc etc. I am still confident that we forfill the criteria for a de facto relationship however and can prove our relationship in the form of letters, e-mails, photos etc. So all good up til there!

Now gets to the tricky part....am I correct in saying I can get a Work Visa through the family category? I think I'm correct in saying that it would take 2- 6 weeks to come through? If this is the case it strikes me that this has to be the easiest option to get to NZ. BUT, would I be better advise to go for the PR option straight away? What are the benefits for either option?

To continue my indecisivness, I do not want to leave my current job (UK)without a definite job offer in NZ. If I was to apply for a Work Visa and get it issued, could I THEN start appraching companies whilst still employed and in the UK with the right to work in place, or does the Work Visa start its countdown as soon as I have it?

As you can see I'm rather vague on quite a few aspects so any feedback would be hugely appreciated!