Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: carpet vs wooden floors

Default carpet vs wooden floors

well.. ive been ill with flu and getting to the point of boredom so i thought (as you do) that id pull up some carpet in the living room to see what was under it.
    Imagine my surprise to see some yummy rimu type flooring!

here's the question.. from a value point of view and draughtiness.... why would someone cover that with carpet? am i missing something? btw, we have a weatherboard house on piles.

For a while it was considered more luxurious to carpet and wooden floors are colder and draughtier underfoot. If you insulate under the boards (nasty job wriggling round under there- very time consuming but well worth it) and ideally fill the gaps and put loads of varnish down it reduces that problem. My preference is for boards in all halls and living areas, tile in bathrooms, laundry and loos and carpet in bedrooms. When we lived in Oz it was wooden floors throughout and that was lovely but I think it's a bit cold here for wood in the bedroom unless you're tougher than me!

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    .... why would someone cover that with carpet? am i missing something? btw, we have a weatherboard house on piles.
    I am ALWAYS shocked when people cover up wood floors. Horror!

Sorry, can't help, but I'm chuffed to see there's someone else that when faced with possibly terminal man flu resorts to the screwdriver and starts taking the house / houshold appliances to bits for entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Sorry, can't help, but I'm chuffed to see there's someone else that when faced with possibly terminal man flu resorts to the screwdriver and starts taking the house / houshold appliances to bits for entertainment.
    before being ill last month, mrs V arrived home one day to find I'd ripped the whole kitchen out and assorted dusty kitchen gubbins piled up in the living room. stage 2.. reassemble new kitchen...

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    boards why would someone cover that with carpet?
    Quote from one of my colleagues in our engineering consultancy: 'The carpet is the insulation!'

We've got carpet in the hall and lounge, then wooden floors in the bedroom / TV room. Seems very very odd, all the one way round. Big bonus is that when it's cold you can wear socks and run around doing sock slides on the varnsihed boards.

We had hard floors in our first house. Looked great. When we moved I vowed that I would never live in any place that had them ever again. Noisy, slippery, cold and uncomfortable to sit/lay on. Ok, so the last one is as I've a dodgy back so sometimes prefer to stretch out on the floor rather than on the sofa / chair. But it's a personal choice. Sure for photos in a magazine then the hard floors look better, but day to day then I prefer carpets.

so final question.. if you were prepping the house to sell.. what would you go for?

Floorboards. No matter how practical you are as you walk round then the heart wins over the head.

(or the Mrs just tells you what you like).

are we married to the same woman?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast