Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permanent Resident Visa (Indefinite PR)

Smile Permanent Resident Visa (Indefinite PR)

Hi,

I got my Resident Visa on 1-Nov-2009 and I have lived in NZ even since so I will be eligible for my Permanent Resident Visa (Indefinite PR) on 1-Nov-2011.

The problem is that I an travelling to US in October and will be returning to NZ in Dec. By that time my Returning Resident Visa will expire on 1-Nov-2011

Q1. If I apply for in US, will Immigration NZ issue me a Permanent Resident Visa (Indefinite PR) OR just a one year extension, as I will be outside NZ. I really want to get my Permanent Resident Visa (Indefinite PR) so I can travel freely after that.

Basically I want to know IF applying for Permanent Resident Visa (Indefinite PR) outside NZ, will affect the outcome of my application.

If someone has got their Permanent Resident Visa (Indefinite PR) done outside NZ please share your experiences.

Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated.

I know this becomes complicated, and that ideally you apply when you are in NZ... and the rules changed a bit recently.

You should look back at some related posts from the last 4-6 weeks (do a search.) And I'm sure others will kick in soon.

Hello and welcome.

The INZ website has the answer. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...teps/apply.htm If you look near the bottom of the page, you'll see it says, 'If you are overseas, your application must be sent before you travel to New Zealand. Find out where to send your application.'

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Hello and welcome.

The INZ website has the answer. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...teps/apply.htm If you look near the bottom of the page, you'll see it says, 'If you are overseas, your application must be sent before you travel to New Zealand. Find out where to send your application.'
    Hi JandM,

Thanks for your reply. My confusion is that if I apply for my Permanent Resident Visa in US, will I be granted Permanent Resident Visa OR they will just give me a 1 yr travel waiver.

I hope being outside NZ will not affect my chances.

Thanks

This page link is all about Permanent Resident. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm If you qualify, you qualify. There's nothing there to say that being in NZ at the precise moment your anniversary comes us is necessary. There's another, totally separate, page about getting Variation of Travel Conditions instead http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm, for those who haven't yet qualified for Permenent Residence.

Hi JandM,

Thanks a lot. I have gone through the link and I know that I qualify.

Though there is nothing that says it cannot be done outside NZ, but a few people have advised me that its better that I travel back to NZ and get it done here.

I am just trying to get an opinion from someone who has got their Permanent resident Visa issued outside NZ. So if someone can share the experience of getting Permanent resident Visa outside NZ it would be really helpful.

Thanks
    Varun

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Why don't you ring INZ for their advice?

a few people have advised me
    I absolutely agree with Manks. When you get to the point that all the world and his wife has a definite opinion on your business, all of them different, and you can't bring yourself to believe the printed guidelines, go to the people whose business it is to know.

Well, that was the first thing I did.

They say that it should be no problem if I apply outside NZ but it is upto the discreation of the Case Officer. So no definite answer.

Hoping if someone has got their Permanent Resident Visa done outside NZ can come to help.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by mesmerizer016 View Post
    Hoping if someone has got their Permanent Resident Visa done outside NZ can come to help.
    But even if they have, their situation is likely to be different to yours. All they can do is tell you what happened to them. It may bear no reflection on what might happen in your case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast