Thread: BUNAC IEP Work Exchange Visa

Default BUNAC IEP Work Exchange Visa

Hi,

Does anyone know if you can apply for permanent work in NZ while visiting on a BUNAC IEP work exchange visa?

Having asked a lot of questions of lots of people it seems that the best way for myself and fiance to get residency is to get out to NZ, apply for work and then try for residency (we dont have enough points without the job offer).

So our current plan is to come out on a 12 month BUNAC IEP visa, find permanent jobs and then immediately apply for residency - we will have a high level of points for our application (way over 140) if we can get permanent jobs.

my only worry is I'm not sure if you can use the BUNAC IEP to apply for permanent work - does anyone here know?

Thanks
    Julie
    Last edited by jundan; 18th September 2011 at 05:26 AM.

A lot of people have gone this route, using either BUNAC or WHV. You aren't allowed to take on a permanent position when on one of these, so you need a bit of co-operation from your prospective employer, in that he takes you on for a fixed amount of time in the first place, then, while you are already working for him, gives you the formal offer of a permanent job that you submit with your EOI.

Of course, as soon as one of you has a job offer, s/he can put in the EOI with the other as partner, so at the end of the process you'll both have Residence.

Thanks for this response - I recently contacted Bunac who have advised that we wouls be allowed to apply for permanent roles on an IEP Visa (but would then need to get residence in order to uphold this beyond the 12 month period), so having read your last post I'm a bit worried the person that advised us may have got it wrong - think I'll double check that in case they have mis-informed us.

We have also realised that the age restriction on WHV's is based on the date you apply rather than the date you enter NZ (we are both currently 30 but will be 31 by the time we plan to fly over in Nov) so that has opened up the option of the WHV for us...

So we now have 2 options - apply for a 23 month WHV or apply for a 12 month Bunac IEP... the WHV seems the best option as it will give us 23 months and is a hell of a lot cheaper than the Bunac option! Also if we haven't managed to sort residency by the time that runs out we could then apply for the IEP exchange Visa for a further 12 months.... So We're pretty much leaning towards the WHV at the moment as our key to getting over there, finding work and applying for residency (fingers crossed)

Are there any other things we should bear in mind whilst deciding which way to go?

Thanks
    ju n danny

I've gained the impression from other people's posts that the situation is the same for BUNAC IEP as for WHV. Although from the INZ point of view, it's hard to see why it would be (person with permission to be in the country for only a limited amount of time, supposed to leave at a definite date), I suppose it could be different, so you're absolutely right to ask. INZ would be the people to give you a definite answer. I see that BUNAC are mentioned on the INZ website here, http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...es/default.htm, under the description 'seasonal and temporary work opportunities'.

Having considered everything we've decided it would seem daft not to go for the WHV option first as we only have a few months to apply for this until we hit 31 and then it's no longer an option - this way if we don't manage to get things sorted within the time of the WHV we still have the IEP option to fall back on as we can apply for that until 35 to give us a further 12 months if needed.

That should give us between 2-3 years in NZ - if we can't manage to get jobs and residency during that time then maybe it's not meant to be!

thanks for your help, will let you know how we get on with it all.

Good luck!