Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newly developed High Blood Pressure

Default Newly developed High Blood Pressure

So, the Kiwi hubs has been in India for the past month, 12 more days to go, but who is counting besides me. But, in that time, I wasn't sleeping well and it got so bad that my sleep aid stopped working and I was only getting 1 hour of sleep a night for 4 nights straight. I could feel my heart beating in my chest and my neck, it felt like a 200 pound man was sitting on my chest - it wasn't good. So, I finally got into the doctor and it turns out my blood pressure was quite high. I am underweight if anything. I have a very high metabolism and have a hard time gaining weight. I don't drink, smoke, I eat healthy and work out and i have two young boys who keep me going. The good thing is, the I have been put on the lowest dose of Blood pressure medicine and it is working. I just am wondering if this is going to mess up my chances of moving forward. I am planning on doing the blood work later this week and have the physical in a few weeks out so I can try and put on a few pounds. With my heart pumping so hard it was like I was running a marathon and I lost 5 pounds...and I CAN'T lose any weight otherwise I look like skeletor.
    Any thoughts from the forum? I just don't know what to think. And I have done some searches, but nothing seems clear.
    Anything would be greatly appreciated.
    Brigid

Brigid,

Many BP pills commonly prescribed here in the UK have been around for years and are out of patent - hence very, very cheap (Ramipril, according to my chemist, is around $2 for a months supply) so they shouldn't cost the NZ health service very much and ought hardly eat into the $25,000 life time allowance immigration apparently set.

Probably a good idea to ask your chemist the cost of whatever you've been prescribed and if it's not one of the latest super drugs I'd hope you'd find it no barrier to your application. At least I hope so as I'm taking a BP pill myself.

Ian
    Last edited by IanR; 20th September 2011 at 09:50 AM.

It was hydrochlorothiazide and it cost maybe $3 for a month's supply. So, here's hoping it won't be a big deal. I am hopeful it is just an emotional response to lack of sleep, but you never know. So, I must be prepared either way. Only time will tell. Thanks for your response.

This is probably more of a long term response, but my Mum was diagnosed with high bP (stress related). She asked the GP if she could have 2-3 months to get it down to a more normal reading using daily yoga and meditation. He agreed and said that if this didn't work, she'd be offered ramapril (or similar). She got it sorted and 5/6 years later, still has good bP, no meds required. I'm sure that it's not just the yoga/meditation, but any conscious effort to reduce stress must be a good thing. Emigrating isn't really conducive to low stress, but I guess you could give meditating or yoga a go.

P

Random related thought but did you get your thyroid function checked?

Hyperthyroidism will give you palpitations, raised BP and weight loss (hypertension on its own not normally associated with weight loss sadly, or my husband would be kilos lighter!)

Quote Originally Posted by KatieBen View Post
    Random related thought but did you get your thyroid function checked?

Hyperthyroidism will give you palpitations, raised BP and weight loss (hypertension on its own not normally associated with weight loss sadly, or my husband would be kilos lighter!)
    Absolutely! I was going to suggest this too.

Thank you. Thyroid was tested and it is aces. So, I have been trying to meditate but with two little raggamuffins for boys it has made it challenging to say the least. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by IanR View Post
    ...Ramipril, according to my chemist, is around $2 for a months supply...
    Costs me $3 for a 3-month supply here in NZ -- the charge to have the prescription rewritten is 6x that (still cheap, no matter how you look at it).

I had (have) mild hypertension and was additionally diagnosed with atrial fibrillation when I did my NZ medical in the US. Medical was referred to the MA, but I had a bunch of sobering cardio function tests done and it was no issue, so I can't imagine that mild hypertension, alone, would be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sks View Post
    Costs me $3 for a 3-month supply here in NZ -- the charge to have the prescription rewritten is 6x that (still cheap, no matter how you look at it).

I had (have) mild hypertension and was additionally diagnosed with atrial fibrillation when I did my NZ medical in the US. Medical was referred to the MA, but I had a bunch of sobering cardio function tests done and it was no issue, so I can't imagine that mild hypertension, alone, would be a problem.
    Thanks SKS....any and all of this information is very helpful. I really love this forum for all you great people. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by IanR View Post
    Many BP pills commonly prescribed here in the UK have been around for years and are out of patent - hence very, very cheap (Ramipril, according to my chemist, is around $2 for a months supply) so they shouldn't cost the NZ health service very much and ought hardly eat into the $25,000 life time allowance immigration apparently set.
    Quote Originally Posted by sks View Post
    Okay, I'm a little bored today...

Just so nobody gets the wrong idea from the above: ramipril is not available in New Zealand! We have many other fine ACE inhibitors [cilazapril being the most popular, which is not approved in the US].

@Brigid: Would you believe you can't get hydrochlorothiazide in NZ, either (at least as a single ingredient). Bendrofluazide is the most commonly used thiazide diuretic, which also is not approved in the US.

California Uber Alles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast