Thread: Does Immigration return documents?

Question Does Immigration return documents?

Hi,
    I will be submitting a Temporary Work Visa application soon to the London branch and was wondering if immigration returns my documents to me. We are asked to submit our passport with the application, so obviously this will be returned, but I'm wondering about other documents such as the police check, employment offers/contract, references etc.

It is to my understanding that these documents need to be submitted as originals. Is this correct? I know the police check must be the original, but does the employment offer/contract and references need to be the original (with signature in pen-ink)? And what about the Employer Supplementary Form? I'm just wondering if I have to wait for my employer to post these originals to me (postal system is very slow where I am) or if they could just scan me copy and then I can submit my application much sooner.

If I do need to submit originals I would like to have them back for my records in case I need them for something else, so can I request for them to be returned as well when they send back my passport.

Also, I will be needing my police check again for another matter, so I'm wondering if immigration need to keep it and I should just get two now, or if the one I submit can be returned and then I can reuse it later.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Tashla,

Is there any option on the form for returning original documents? In case of Residence visa there is a option to select whether you want back your documents or not and you have a pay if return required.

I am sure NZ should return your employment offer/contract and references, but not sure about Police and medical certificate.

Currently NZ immigration site down otherwise i will send u the link.

Hi Tashla, I got all my original docs back from London, but not until all was approved and in the same envelope as my passport with the fabled blue stickers, so prepare for a wait. You wouldn't believe how many times I've gone for my passport as id in the last few months only to realise...damn!

Cheers, C

Quote Originally Posted by nzimmi View Post
    Hi Tashla,

Is there any option on the form for returning original documents? In case of Residence visa there is a option to select whether you want back your documents or not and you have a pay if return required.

I am sure NZ should return your employment offer/contract and references, but not sure about Police and medical certificate.

Currently NZ immigration site down otherwise i will send u the link.
    Yes, there is a check box on the application for "Return all documents to me by secure post at the address given at B3."

But then the London Check List says "Persons wishing to have their passports returned by special delivery must enclose a reply paid self-addressed envelope with sufficient postage. If you want to have your documents returned by courier then please indicate this either in a covering letter or on the application form. You will have to pay the costs for this service. Otherwise, all documents will be returned by recorded delivery."

So I wasn't sure if they meant all documents or only passport.

Quote Originally Posted by Chedward View Post
    Hi Tashla, I got all my original docs back from London, but not until all was approved and in the same envelope as my passport with the fabled blue stickers, so prepare for a wait. You wouldn't believe how many times I've gone for my passport as id in the last few months only to realise...damn!

Cheers, C
    Ah, awesome. Thanks. So you got the police check back too? Did you have to make a special request for your documents to be returned or is it just normal practice that they sent it back along with your passport?

Also, can anyone confirm that the employment contract, references, employer supplementary form etc need to be originals?

I'm confused because the application form also states:
    "Other documents you may wish to send:
    You may wish to send other documents or information so that we can consider it with this application. Send photocopies only (not original documents), as these documents will not be returned to you. If we need to see an original document, you will be asked to produce it later."

But is this not referring to employment offers, qualifications, references etc. because they were asked for previously in the application form and thus not making them "other documents"?

I think I might be over-thinking this...

Quote Originally Posted by tashla View Post
    Ah, awesome. Thanks. So you got the police check back too? Did you have to make a special request for your documents to be returned or is it just normal practice that they sent it back along with your passport?
    Police check, Birth Cert, All relationship documents - mortgage statements, etc. I didn't request anything special it just all came back recorded with the passports. I would suggest if you want to make sure that you could add a note to them on your application cover letter/index, or an e-mail if you've already sent everything off to your CO once assigned to request that they are returned and do they need anything further from you with regard to payment for any additional postage. Contrary to what you're probably feeling at the moment - they don't bite, honest!

Cheers, C

Quote Originally Posted by Chedward View Post
    Police check, Birth Cert, All relationship documents - mortgage statements, etc. I didn't request anything special it just all came back recorded with the passports. I would suggest if you want to make sure that you could add a note to them on your application cover letter/index, or an e-mail if you've already sent everything off to your CO once assigned to request that they are returned and do they need anything further from you with regard to payment for any additional postage. Contrary to what you're probably feeling at the moment - they don't bite, honest!

Cheers, C
    Thanks, that's really good news! Thank so much for your help. And also congrats on your recent acceptance!