Thread: Parent Visa (sponsored by me) and other ways for my mother to stay in NZ.

Default Parent Visa (sponsored by me) and other ways for my mother to stay in NZ.

Hi,

I have until Sept 2014 (after 3 years of Residence) before I can sponsor my mum to apply for Residence from the UK.

While it's a long way off, I have been looking at Grandparent/Parent multiple entry visa. I understand it's valid for 3 years, with a total of 18 months to stay in NZ then leave the country once the maximum stay is up.

As time goes on and while she waits for her residency to come through, can she apply for another Parent Multiple entry visa again or it is once a lifetime thing?

Also, she could come here as a visitor visa but it's only up to 6 months - can that be extended?

Cheers,
    Claire

If your mother applies for a visitor visa before leaving the UK, she can get one that allows her to stay for 9 months. Once in NZ, it is possible to apply to extend that 9 months for a further three months, but there are conditions and it isn't certain. When someone has been in NZ for the maximum length of a visitor's visa, they cannot come back on another visitor's visa until they have spent an equal amount of time out of NZ - so, if she'd been there nine months, she would have to stay away nine months. If she'd been there a year, she would have to stay away for a year.

If your mother gained a parents'/grandparents' visa and used the 18 months available all at once, she would not be able to apply for another, similar visa until the rest of the three years had passed.

Another thought - might your mother be eligible to apply for a work visa in her own right? (Obviously, she would need to be under the age of 55 if wanting to put in an EOI.)

Thanks for that JandM :-)

She's 62 so she would not be eligible to get a work visa.

She is planning to retire in the next year or two so she just wanted to keep some options open. Even though she has visited NZ twice and loved it. Probably rent out her house for 6+ months (or do a house swap) and see how things go, perhaps then apply for the parent ME visa. Doesn't want to give up everything until she has the residence.

Can she apply for the parent visa in NZ or outside? Does she need do a police check/medicals?

Thanks.
    Claire

Here are all the requirements. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ly/default.htm (And note the links off that page.)

Default visitor visa plus grandparent

I have been studying the INZ website and I think it's possible to stay for a 27month period... but maybe I've misread it?

I have spent 9 months in New Zealand as a visitor and have now returned to my home country. Do you count the time I have already spent in New Zealand towards the maximum entitlement of 18 in 36 months?
    No, your previous time in New Zealand is not counted. The 18 in 36 months starts with the parent and grandparent multiple entry visitor visa.

Do we know of anyone doing this?
    Last edited by californiadream; 10th October 2011 at 09:45 PM.

Yes, people have done this.