Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English Skill for my wife

Default English Skill for my wife

Please share your experience...

My wife's English skill is in elementary level so, I do not think she can manage to get Band5 or so in IELTS. During my EOI I did not claim points for her M.A. degree because of English skill level...and I chose to have ESOL for her.

Just worried that how much my application will be impacted due to her English skill?

ITA package says ----

Evidence of the English language ability of all applicants aged 17 years and over, unless the secondary applicants are pre-purchasing English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) tuition, e.g. IELTS test report or evidence to prove your statements in D1 and D2 of your EOI.

As you haven't claimed any points on this there should be no impact on your application('s success).
    You'll 'just' have to spend some money when your application is successful.

Anybody gone through such case?

There have been forum members in the past who have bought ESOL for their partner, and duly got their visas all right. There isn't any stigma attaching to the principal applicant, who DOES already speak English well enough to pass the IELTS.

Thanks JandM. I feel confidant now to go ahead with lodgement of the application.

Getting back to this topic again. I received a confirmation mail from INZ Shanghai branch on reception of my application but asking for IELTS report for my OH. I have clearly written a letter to them along my application that I am not claiming any points for my OH's qualification and will opt to purchase ESOL package. Not sure why are they still asking for IELTS report.

I am waiting for response from them..let's see what they come up with.

Btw, will they interview my wife even I have clearly mentioned that my wife's English level is not good enough to confidently converse with others?

Btw, will they interview my wife even I have clearly mentioned that my wife's English level is not good enough to confidently converse with others?
    I'm under SMC, my interview was just on me, CO didn't ask to bring OH. Plus, I don't think their interview is aimed to test English skill, that should be done by the language test, like IELTS.

Have you replied to this request for IELTS for your wife, not just left it at the covering letter? I think you should definitely write again in reply, saying that she has not sat the IELTS because she has very little English and that you therefore intend to buy ESOL for her, just in case a) the official has overlooked your previous letter, and b) the official might put your case aside until they get some response.

Just checked my email and saw the response from INZ office. They agreed that there is no need of such evidence if I plan to purchas ESOL package for my OH. She will promised to inform the officer who received my application and checked the submitted documents.

But again, I still feel uncertain that if she will inform the person.As the application received confirmation letter states clearly - If you do not provide this evidence we wont be able to proceed your application- a very critical statement to me.

Considering such impact, should I again send any written statement to them or it is okay as she has already responded with promise to inform the officer about it? I am just worried this little information may not reach the officer while they are all busy in processing many applications....

Quote Originally Posted by swang View Post
    I'm under SMC, my interview was just on me, CO didn't ask to bring OH. Plus, I don't think their interview is aimed to test English skill, that should be done by the language test, like IELTS.
    yeah, that makes sense. Would you mind sharing you timeline? as I see your's was also processed in Shanghai branch. Sorry if you have already mentioned it somewhere else in other threads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast