Thread: Points for recognised qualifications are not cumulative

Default Points for recognised qualifications are not cumulative

Hi all,

Understood that based on what it has been stated in Ops Manual

That:

g. Points are provided for:
    i. one qualification only; or
    ii.two or more qualifications assessed in combination.

It has an example of, "if an applicant has two level nine qualifications on the NZQF they may still only qualify for 60 points."

What is the meaning of number ii: two or more qualifications assessed in combination?

Can we say that a level 8 of Bachelor in management and a level 5 of software programming in IT as a two or more qualifications that can be assessed in combination hence a person can claim points for 50 points and 40 points=90 points?

Ah, this is here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/i6954.htm, at SM14.10.

I believe that 'in combination' means that an applicant has two or more qualifications in the same subject, as it were, cumulatively, e.g. a BA and an MA in the same discipline. But wait till NZ is awake later, and you'll probably get some comments from people who have gone through the assessment process.

I believe the meaning of "two or more qualifications assessed in combination" refers to those qualifications that rely on the prior completion of a lower-level qualification.

For instance, when I had my Master degree assessed it was required that I include my Bachelors degree as it was a prerequisite for entry into my Masters program. I also had a 2-year Associate's degree that was assessed in conjunction with my Bachelors degree (as the credits from the Associate's were applied to earn the Bachelor's).

My NZQA assessment returned a total report of Level 5 (Associate's), Level 7 (Bachelor's), and Level 9 (Master's).

However, INZ will only provide points for the highest level qualification regardless. The assessment is in combination but the points are not cumulative.

So, in your example you would receive 50 points for the level 8 qualification and no points would be awarded for the level 5.

Hi JandM it seems that you are never sleeping....-)

Thanks fr the input Azkateas, it's a very valuable input; so I must use the relevance education qualification to the job that I have rather then just go for the highest point, I believe.

Rgds,

Can anyone point me to the correct page where it tells the correct procedure of sending the documents to the IQA for assessment please? Or perhaps in the manual. Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by kramvi View Post
    Can anyone point me to the correct page where it tells the correct procedure of sending the documents to the IQA for assessment please? Or perhaps in the manual. Thanks so much.
    Never mind guys .... I found the link. Thanks anyway.