Thread: Teaching on WHV

Default Teaching on WHV

Hello!

I have a few questions, hope someone can help/advise.

I am already in NZ on a Working holiday visa. (Sept 2011 - Sept 2012)
    I am a fully qualified primary teacher, Uk trained.

From what I can gather I need to have quals recognised by the NZQA and also register with teaching council.
    NZQA fee: $750
    TC fee: $300
    Is this correct?

As the process takes 4-6 weeks (if i apply to both simultainiously) is it worth all this for a one year WHV?

If I do have employment can I stay longer than one year, employer sponsored? do they do this for teaching?

Someone also told me if on a WHV you do not need to pay full TC registration....not sure about that.

Can I start applying for 2012 jobs while waiting for recognition?

Sorry for all the questions! I have been here 2 months and cannot find work. My partner is working full time so I am limited to locations. (North Shore based)

Thanks in advance
    Sandy

I can answer a few of the questions.

First, the fees are correct. To see if the rate is lower for a WHV, you could email the Teachers Council. They respond very quickly. You can't apply simultaneously so add a bit of time to your estimate. You have to have the NZQA done before you can apply to the teacher's council. You will also need a police certificate from Ireland for the teacher's council. Details here - http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/o...heckosqual.stm

I don't know if you can extend your current visa but if you have employment as a teacher, you can apply for a work visa or even permanent residence as teachers are on the skill shortage list.

As for applying now, it won't hurt but some schools may not interview you until you have your certificate.

Thanks Millieandme.

I emailed the TC and they said:
    "You are able to apply both for an International Qualification Assessment through NZQA at the same time you apply for teacher registration with the NZ Teachers Council. The Council is unable to finalise registration and a practising certificate without all of the required information outlined on the TC0 application form which includes things like the International Qualifications Assessment report from NZQA because we need this to assess one of the criteria for registration which is whether you are satisfactorily trained to teach.
    In terms of your last question, do you mean the $300 fee being the processing fee to apply for registration as an overseas trained teacher? The TC0 application is the form that would apply to you and the processing fee of $302.57 will need to be paid if you wish to apply for registration."

Not sure it helps me make a decision.....

Hey Sandy,

I would go for it! It does take time, and the Teacher's Council will be processing lots right now, so it might take a little longer than usual.

With your Working Holiday Visa you can apply for temporary contracts- which there are loads. If you decide that you ant to stay, then as Primary teaching is on the Long term Skills Shortage List (LTSSL) then you can apply for residency when you have a permanent job offer. Going down this route you would need to go through the stages of Expression of Interest and the T you will get an Invitation to Apply.

I guess it all depends what you want to do- whether you want to stay for a year or longer!

I have bene through the process, so if you need any advice, or have any more questions then just fire them my way!

Oh, and most schools would require you to already have registration before they even consider you- so get and apply asap! Remember- some schools will still be recruiting in January though!

Thanks wiseboy!

Good to hear there are lots of temporary jobs about and that they will still be looking for teachers in January. If I have more questions (im sure I will...) i'll get back to you.

Thanks again