Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primary school for a 5 yr old

Thanks Lindsey once again.

itsellesi,
    I was also wondering about same stuff.
    I couldn't find out what is expected from a kid enrolling for the first yr at the primary.
    But with some research I was able to find out what is expected of him/her after a year in the primary.
    You can get info about it in this website
    http://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/Natio...After-one-year
    http://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/Natio...After-one-year

I see that my lil one can do what is expected of him in maths after a year, coz we have been feeding him with skills to count, add and subtract.
    My worry is English, because you can clearly see that they expect a child to read stories and write about daily activities after a yr at primary school.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by nativecolo View Post
    I wouldn't worry about that - been through that, no expectations

and the good thing is that it's not just academics that are there
    Good to hear that!
    In here, some kindy are already giving bi-weekly spelling test to 4~5 year old kids!

Thanks Kanga.
    Now, I got to worry about making their lunchboxes!

MK33,
    Thanks for the link. Really useful!

I'm a former teacher, with children of my own, and now grandchildren. In my experience, you really do not need to worry about children picking up another language quickly - they don't have the worries that adults do about this, and it *happens* without there needing to be huge special effort (although of course you and the teachers will be consciously helping the process). There is less bother the younger the child is. When giving him some pre-training, make sure he knows how to ask about going to the loo, and food, and where things are, and that will give him a basis so he doesn't embarrass himself or need to worry, then everything else will grow from there.

Some examples: a 9-year-old Spanish boy who came into my class in England half way through September knowing NO English. By Christmas he could speak fluently though with a bit of an accent still, and was attempting written work in all subjects. In another three months, he had lost the accent and was among the best in the class. A 10-year-old Iranian boy who arrived in the UK with his parents with no English - in that case, seeing him just before a school holiday began, the headteacher said he should have some English lessons before joining the school three weeks later. Amazement - the parents sent him to a Berlitz language school crash course, and he arrived in class speaking like a 40-year-old businessman! He still had to tackle details of written English, and the way ordinary children talk to one another (which is a bit different ), but he fitted straight in to the class. Then, less extreme - in our household, the adults are British, but also French-speaking, and there have always been occasional French visitors and phone-calls. Our own children just absorbed understanding of some French by being around while it was used - from very small, they would say, for instance, after overhearing my end of a phone call in French, 'So who is that who's coming to stay next week?' or, 'Can I come when you pick that man up from Heathrow?' When we were on holiday in France when our daughter was 9, she was out playing on her own, and came back later telling how she'd got talking to an old lady who lived just up the road from the campsite, who'd called her to see a calf being born, and she'd managed that situation without ever having had a formal French lesson in her life. And when our son was preparing for GCSE exams (school exams taken aged 15/16), he didn't go to French lessons because another subject he was interested in was timetabled at the same time, but he nevertheless sat the French exam and got A for the oral and written sections, almost entirely on the basis of experience at home and on family holidays.

hi there - most of the other posts cover your questions already

Yes, your child can go to kindy or preschool until age 6 if you wish, and the government would fund 20hr of their fees, however most kids start school on their 5th birthday. It's actually quite cute to see, and the classes are generally very small (especially towards the end of the school year - Jan-Dec) so your November baby wouldn't be fighting for attention. Schools will also apply for ESOL (English as a second language) funding to provide a teacher aide for part of the week, to give him more 1:1 time.

We had a Romanian 6yr old and Dutch 9yr old start at the school where I work (in the office) recently. Neither knew English before enrolling, and both are doing really well. The Romanian was started off with a smaller, younger class to help settle in and after 8 weeks has moved up to his "expected" year group!

Lastly, starting in early Nov would mean he is in class for ~6 weeks before the summer holidays. This will set him up with some new friends to play with over the break, and hopefully new friends for his parents too!

Regards skill level - my daughter is of similar age to your son (she was born in June 2007) and has been in a Kiwi preschool setting for the last year. The prep for school is brilliant, and focusses on all kinds of non-academic things like balancing, hanging upside down, listening, rhyming.. plus letter recognition. Some of the kids are starting to write, some draw recognisable pictures.. but not my daughter.. and no one minds. I find that brilliant She has an active imagination, remembers all kinds of things, sings songs ("real" or nonsense), is just about getting a handle on letters, and so on - that's enough. No pressure

Quote Originally Posted by MK33 View Post
    Hi all,
    This is my first post at "health, edu and family" section.
    We have applied for residency and (fingers crossed) if everything goes well, we will be there in NZ by the end of next year.
    We haven't yet decided where to live but would prefer CHCH if I can find a job there.
    We have a boy who will complete 5 next year (DoB -3 Nov, 2007). We wish to know if we need to get him to a kindy before a primary school OR he can directly join primary school.
    Our kid is not that good in speaking/ understanding English as we don't speak in English at our home.
    He is learning English now. We will try to teach him as much as we can in this year.
    I wish to know if he will have difficulties in school in a level that he might not me able to cop?
    I wish to hear from people with similar experience.
    Also, I wish to know what is the normal age for primary school enrollment? and when does the session for primary school starts?

Many Thanks
    That's the problem faced by most of the immigrants. Your child's age is quite appropriate for the primary schools. But if you really think that he wouldn't be able to communicate with the children and teachers of the school, then it's better to send him to a play school first for 2-3 hours a day. This would give him an experience of school for one year or so. He would learn some English also.

Hello and welcome.

Thanks Jand

If I understood well, children can enter school just after they turn 5 and have to just after they turn 6. I am wondering what grade they are joining? Grade 0 for the 5 years old? and grade one for the 6 years old? I guess it also probably depends whether the child turns 5 or 6 before or after June.

If everything goes according to plan, we should land in N-Z sometimes in September 2012 (well we'd better, we have no school for next year here! ) . Our son being born in August 2006, he will then be just 6. Hence would he be a 1st grader?

Here, were we are in France, kids born within the same civil year are attending the same class. School years start in September. Meaning our son started his last year of pre-school in September 2011. Now, and this might be tricky to follow, his school thinks he is ready for first grade, so in January 2012 (next week) he is joining kids who were born in 2005 and started 1st grade in September 2011 to be a 1st grader himself. If we were to stay in France, he would be in 2nd grade in Sept 2012. This is not uncommon in France, children repeat classes or step over some, the teaching being equivalent to the entire class.

So if he were to carry on with 1st grade in September 2012 when arriving in N-Z, it would be ideal, he then would finish this half year he started in France. But maybe children born in August 2006 are starting first grade in Feb 2013 in N-Z.

Thanks for the advice.

NZ doesn't have the same set system of school years as there is in France. And you will find that the subject matter and skills tackled will not be the same, necessarily, and if they appear, will not necessarily be taught in the same order as you have been used to seeing. When you approach a school wanting your child to start there, they will place him partly according to what you can tell them about him, and partly according to how they find he works - there is quite a bit of flexibility on the matter of chronological age.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast