Thread: Preganancy and approval

Default Preganancy and approval

Just wondering if my application gets any impact due to pregnancy of my wife.

I am going to lodge my ITA in next month and planning to have a baby late next year. Will my application get any -ve impact due to this? Or do I need to inform them about the situation?

As far as I know, there is no impact at all on the outcome. Applying for Residence, you are entitled to include your partner and any children. Any child of yours born during the processing can be added to your application, as soon as you can supply the birth certificate. If your wife were to be pregnant at the time of her medical, this would of course automatically give the information to INZ, but if that isn't the case, there is no need to inform them of your plans for a family - time enough if and when it happens.

Default Hi

Quote Originally Posted by klt View Post
    Just wondering if my application gets any impact due to pregnancy of my wife.

I am going to lodge my ITA in next month and planning to have a baby late next year. Will my application get any -ve impact due to this? Or do I need to inform them about the situation?
    HI ,

Your wife has to go for medical tests and one of them is X-ray. This cannot be done if your wife is pregnant. Depending on the country you live in (if High Risk Country) , this X-ray can be critical as it may delay your application and you have to wait until your baby is born to get the x ray and then proceed with your visa processing.

Secondly if your visa decision is made by CO. before your baby is born, you have to apply another visa for your baby and may take few months to a year in total extra time.

Please note, from the INZ operational manual http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/:

A4.20 Medical and X-ray certificates: residence class visa applications

Applications for residence class visas must include, at the time the application is lodged, a fully completed Medical and Chest X-Ray Certificate (INZ 1007) for every person included in the application.

Note: Pregnant women and children under 11 years of age are not required to have an X-ray examination.
    (their highlighting)

So, yes, as shawankit says, IF it was insisted on because of where your wife is now living, it could be a delay. On the other hand, it can just pass without problem.

If your wife were to have her medical (and X-ray) before there is any likelihood of her being pregnant, you might avoid all issues on this point.

If you and your wife are granted Residence before your baby is born, and you need to apply separately for him/her, you would still have the option of applying for a visitor's visa if you wanted to travel before his/her own Residence visa was to hand.

We applied for PR while I was pregnant, and we had our medicals when I was about 35 weeks along. You do not need to have an x-ray if pregnant, which saves a bit of money. Pregnancy can affect some of the blood test results, for example raised cholesterol, so I recommend that you ensure the Dr who fills in the medical forms notes any irregularities and states clearly whether these are pregnancy related. In my case my cholesterol was high, but this caused no problem at all. Also, despite being pregnant the examining Dr is still supposed to work out your BMI and take a waist measurment. Again, make sure the Dr notes down how many weeks pregnant you are which these measuements are filled in. Unless you were very overweight before getting pregnant, there should be no problem. And again, if you ended up having a medical not long after birth, I would recommend asking the Dr to make a note of this on the form.

When you submit your application, do inform your case officer of your wifes pregnancy, and they will guide you with the required additional paperwork.

Once your baby is born, you will need to apply for a passport as soon as you can after getting the birth certificate. Once you have the passport your baby will be required to have a medical too. My baby had this done at about a month old before he's even got a red book (child health record), and the Dr only did the same things that would have been done with a 6 week check-up with a health visitor, so nothing to worry about. It took the doctor all of 10 minutes to check my son over. Unless your child was born with some major health problems or congenital defects, it is simply a case of sending off the babies completed medical forms to your case officer to have it added to your residency application, and pay any additional fee that might be due.