Thread: Regarding ADSL+ Router

Default Regarding ADSL+ Router

Hi All,
    I am just wondering if I should bring my linksys ADSL Modem + Wireless Router to NZ. Do broadband companies provide a wireless router when we take connection? How do they provide services (is it typically thru ADSL or FTTH or CableTV).

Regards,
    nz_newbie.

Purchased a bundle of landline, broadband & satellite TV from Vodafone and got their ADSL wireless router as part of the deal. Have connected the wireless router that I brought with me as a repeater.

Not aware of any cable TV services in my part of Auckland.

Default router

Does is have pppoe or pppoa authentication? Most nz telcos use pppoa on copper si if your router does pppoe authentication only....

I use a draytek vigor 110; A pppoa > pppoe bridge.

DEPENDS what your doing with your internet as to whether thus is necessary?

Ftth is not yet widespread

Quote Originally Posted by nz_newbie View Post
    Hi All,
    I am just wondering if I should bring my linksys ADSL Modem + Wireless Router to NZ. Do broadband companies provide a wireless router when we take connection? How do they provide services (is it typically thru ADSL or FTTH or CableTV).

Regards,
    nz_newbie.
    Yes most internet service provider will provide a base ADSL router (may not be with wifi). You may need to sign up for 12 months contract and some cases wifi routers will cost additional .
    I would recommend you get the one you have and you can then decide to use the free one or your own one .

Telecom and Vodafone provide free modem with minimum 12 months contract. I used to have 4 year old Linksys modem and out of curiosity I checked it few months back - which did work.

Both my old Netgear ADSL and newish TalkTalk DLink ADSL+ routers work on our Telstra Clear connection with very little configuration.

Simon

I've brought some ADSL modems from Canada several years ago and they all worked. I don't believe NZ internet is that particular where the country would use their own type of DSL system. The same should apply with your modem from India. However, 2nd hand units are so cheap it's probably not worth the luggage space - $5 - 10. Also it doesn't have to be ADSL+2

Thanks all for the replies. This is what I have @ home here Linksys WAG120N (http://www.linksysbycisco.com/LATAM/en/products/WAG120N). Bought it last year in India o mostly I will carry it with me.

Quote Originally Posted by nz_newbie View Post
    Thanks all for the replies. This is what I have @ home here Linksys WAG120N (http://www.linksysbycisco.com/LATAM/en/products/WAG120N). Bought it last year in India o mostly I will carry it with me.
    Bring it with you