Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using iPad + Skype in place of mobile phone

I need to look into Google Voice. Thanks to everyone for the replies...please keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Millieandme View Post
    I tend to use Google voice more as the call quality is significantly better to North America than Skype is, at least with my setup. To call within New Zealand it is $0.02 US to landlines and $0.20 US to mobiles although the times I have used it, the New Zealand calls have had varying quality.
    Hi Millieandme, are you able to get google voice to work with an ipad and/or iphone/ipod? I use it with my desktop, but have not been successful with the ipod.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
    Hi Millieandme, are you able to get google voice to work with an ipad and/or iphone/ipod? I use it with my desktop, but have not been successful with the ipod.
    Good point. I do have an iPad but I always use my laptop. To use an iPad, you would need to get the Google Voice app which is currently only available if you have a US iTunes account.
    Last edited by Millieandme; 15th December 2011 at 04:38 PM.

I use Googlevoice for most calls. It is very inexepensive so do so in lieu of a landline to call internationally. I believe its actually free locally too. I use Skype as well and agree with others the quality isn't as good. I have a cell phone via work so use that for calls in NZ. So use a combination of all three!

Recently I used Skype to talk to OH while she was away and it hardly took about 300 MB for 1 hr video chat, the voice & video quality was really good. Last time I tried Skype was about 3-4 years back and technology & quality seems to have changed a lot since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Millieandme View Post
    Good point. I do have an iPad but I always use my laptop. To use an iPad, you would need to get the Google Voice app which is currently only available if you have a US iTunes account.
    If I download the google voice app here in the US and bring t to NZ, will it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurefamily View Post
    If I download the google voice app here in the US and bring t to NZ, will it work?
    I haven't used it as I don't have a US Apple ID but there is no reason why it won't work here. The google plugin for Safari works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurefamily View Post
    My experience has been:

1) Google Talk is what one actually uses to make phonecalls (not google voice)

2) Google Talk is not available for the ipod touch

This is just my experience; I could be doing something completely wrong, and/or it might work better with an ipad.

Google Talk is a chat application. We're talking about Google Voice. Google it...

I have an international plan on skype. You pay a flat annual fee and can call to most countries in the world. I also registered a U.S. number with skype so my family back in the U.S. can dial a local number and it'll ring through to my skype. Skype works well most of the time but if the internet is at a crawl (as it sometimes is at peak hours with my provider), then it can be a bit like talking on a walkie talkie.
    I don't know if I'd go so far to use it as a replacement for a local phone but it's a good option for cheap international calling.
    I do currently go without a line rental as I just give out my mobile as my contact number. I'd say in any case, a mobile phone is pretty essential.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast