Thread: Second Job since arriving in NZ

Default Second Job since arriving in NZ

Hi All,

I just thought I would let everyone know that the IT job market is buoyant in Auckland.

I was transferred from UK to NZ by my employer (for which I will be eternally grateful). My wife, son and I are loving life here.

The only thing that just didn't quite fit was my job. Although I loved working for the company in UK, the operation in Auckland was totally different (probably due to the fact that the company is starting out here). I gave it 5 months but the project delivery work just wasn't coming and the work/life balance was not ideal.

So, I registered with an agency and in only a few days, they had me in front of two potential employers. A week later I was offered a position (at $40k more than my current salary) and I start in 1 month. No hard feelings either way with my current employer and I'll keep in touch with the guys.

Lesson here - I am so pleased that I went straight for a residency visa (my employer was going to organise a work visa). If I had gone that route I would have been stuck with them for 2 years instead of the minimum 3 months in connection with the residency visa.

Good to know that you got a better job in such a short time! What field are you in? Not all IT fields are buoyant, IMO.

Congrats relocate2014.

Congratulations Relocate! I'm glad to hear that things are going so well.

How is the house hunting going? (I think you mentioned you were looking to buy in a previous post).

Hi Otaku, I'm a Project Manager but with quite a broad background. For example, for the last 18 months I have been delivering Agile projects in Telecoms and before this, I ran a digital marketing software company. The role here is a Cluient Delivery Manager (basically a PM with some solution design)

Quote Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
    Good to know that you got a better job in such a short time! What field are you in? Not all IT fields are buoyant, IMO.

Hi Escapee

Still in rented for the moment. We have an overseas property we need to sell first. The salary increase that comes with the new role should help once we do start looking to buy though :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
    Congratulations Relocate! I'm glad to hear that things are going so well.

How is the house hunting going? (I think you mentioned you were looking to buy in a previous post).

Thats great news that you found a new job and also with a pay rise… Well done

Congratulations! Not only a great new job in an awesome part of NZ, but a salary increase to go with it. Keep that momentum going!

Interesting you mentioned the IT sector in NZ, because I haven't heard that much about it. I've always been a bit curious as to where these hotspots are around the world, keep us updated!