Thread: Finance jobs in NZ ?

Default Finance jobs in NZ ?

Hi all ,

Hope you guys are doing well . I am currently admitted to msc.applied finance and economics program from university of canterbury . and I've done my CFA level 1 .
    I will be completing my course in a year from now . just to get an idea abt the job situation and the eocnomy . can someone be kind enough to answer a few questions of mine , as i am an immigrant .

1. does a msc.finance from university of canterbury have good value in terms of job search and placements ?(not that i have a choice of leaving now , but would like to be prepared for what comes ahead)
    2. what is the scope for finance field in NZ ?
    and finally ,

3. what could be an expected salary for a fresher with a msc.Finance ?

would be awesome if someone could direct me regarding this .

Awaiting reply ,

Hedgefudge

I moved from Hong Kong. Chartered CFA, qualified FRM, graduated with MSc of Finance in Hong Kong, and worked in trading desk in Hong Kong and Australia before. The sad thing is I could not find anything which is really related to Quants or Applied Finance here. Maybe it is easier to look for adviser type Finance job.

It's very tough. The Finance sector is a cottage industry in NZ and a lot of the people have moved back home after having worked in London and/or NY. Quant roles are tough to find for sure.

Hey guys ,

Oh . I am not looking into a quantitiative role , looking more into corp.finance , investment banking , fund raising and m&a . not sure about the market there . if you people could give me a headsup regarding this , would be extremely helpful .

Thanks ,

HedgeFudge