Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whangarei Hospital

Default Whangarei Hospital

Hi all,

I have a job interview at Whangarei Hospital coming up and was wondering if anyone had input on the organization, staff, etc.? I am interviewing for a RN position in the ER.

Also, does anyone have any input on Wangarei in general? good places to live, schools, etc. I will be traveling with OH and 2 yo daughter. We like more urban places so would rather live in/near a town and would love to be able to have only 1 vehicle.

And, if anyone has any interviewing tips please let me know!

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    Hi all,

I have a job interview at Whangarei Hospital coming up and was wondering if anyone had input on the organization, staff, etc.? I am interviewing for a RN position in the ER.

Also, does anyone have any input on Wangarei in general? good places to live, schools, etc. I will be traveling with OH and 2 yo daughter. We like more urban places so would rather live in/near a town and would love to be able to have only 1 vehicle.

thanks!
    Go you, well done on the interview and good luck
    Research the Treaty of Waitangi

..and practise saying Whangarei correctly: "fong-a-ray"

Best of luck to you! Hubby grew up there and loved the place, but there's minimal jobs in his field so we moved to Chch instead. Am looking forward to eventual holidays in Northland

I grew up an hour or two south of Whangarei and have been considering settling in the area - east of the airport towards Whangarei Heads. Though the city itself is pretty ordinary, there is spectacular coastline nearby. IMHO, you can't go wrong north of Auckland. Mild winters!

My husband lived about an hour away from Whangerei and he really likes it there. It is a lovely coastal town. We stop in when we are driving North. Good luck with the interview. As for the hospital we were there to visit my husband's father when he was there one time. The thing that caught me off guard is how old the hospital appeared. I am used to the hospitals that I have been in here in the US that seem more updated etc. This is just my humble opinion. But, my FIL's doctors were great. Best of luck!

Good luck with the interview

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    Hi all,

thanks!
    Hi, I can't comment on the hospital but in regards to Whangarei this is where we live now. We were originally supposed to be based in Auckland with my job but on arrival I was asked to look into a role based in Whangarei... Mmm, where's that we thought (OH and 2yr son) as we'd spent time in the UK researching Auckland and had not heard of Whangarei..

So we came up for a few reconnaissance trips and after much deliberation decided to take the plunge.. After all, we'd just taken the decision to move from the UK, so another few hundred K's up the road couldn't be that bad.. could it?!

We have been here for just over a year now and can say that we love it up here. I go back down to Auckland quite a bit and every time I leave enjoy the feeling of getting back out of the city and across the brynderwyn hills to the fantastic sight of the Whangarei heads!! We were not city dwellers in the UK and hence sitting in traffic for endless hours a week doesn't appeal. However the relative empty roads and freedom of the North certainly does!

Whagarei is classed as a 'City' but we class it more of a town, based on where we came from in the UK. It's central hub has a main shopping area and there is a shopping centre just on the edge of town with places like Warehouse, Dick Smith, Countdown, Rebel Sports, FCO etc. There aren't any large malls like Sylvia Park in Auckland, but then that is not what the Northland is about, so it seems. There isn't much you can't get here but you have to look a bit harder sometimes, as shops are spread about quite a bit!

In terms of location, we live in Maunu and for you this location would be ideal as it's only 3k to the hospital, and there is an ABC day care centre across the road from the hospital.

Some street to look into are, but not exclusive: (use trademe http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...ch_suggested=0)

Highfield Way;
    Pompallier Estate Drive;
    Austin Road;
    Puriri Park Road, and all off;
    Cemetery Road;

Other nice area's, albeit a bit further out from the hospital are:

Kensington;
    Kamo (generally West of HW1);
    Onerahi

Life up here in the Northland is no doubt slower than Auckland, which we like and there are so many lovely beaches nearby, and the wonderful Bay of Islands 45 minutes North, where the sights are just incredible!

In summary, it's possible that we will eventually have to move to Auckland and when/if that time comes it is going to be a VERY hard decision to make, in terms of lifestyle choice, which is the reason we came to NZ..

Good luck with the job and email me if you have any more questions: nick.white6@googlemail.com

Cheers,
    Nick
    Last edited by noodles3; 3rd January 2012 at 03:40 PM.

Read this publication by the NZ Nursing Council titled 'Guidelines for Cultural Safety, the Treaty of Waitangi and Maori Health in Nursing Education and Practice' (much more readable than it sounds!) and you'll be sweet-as in the interview

http://www.nursingcouncil.org.nz/dow...l-safety11.pdf

PS: you'll look like you've really made the effort if you demonstrate some understanding of the three 'Ps': partnership, participation and protection. Good luck!

Nick, thanks for this info as Onerahi is high on my list. I drove through Onerahi in March but didn't look carefully as I wasn't considering the area.

Other nice area's, albeit a bit further out from the hospital are:
    Kensington;
    Kamo (generally West of HW1);
    Onerahi

May I ask (without derailing the OP's purpose for this thread) your thoughts on Tamaterau, east of Onerahi?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast