Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One year in

Default One year in

Wow how time has flown by, I've not been on here for ages but then I have been a bit busy!!!

After arriving we did all the usual stuff, find house, school, kindy, playgroups etc. All good, I wanted to build up networks so I joined committees and coffee groups and got the kids in after school clubs. I felt settled so quickly and I've felt more at home here than in the uk, it truly feels like we made the best move for our family. However it did feel like we had moved a couple if years too early but where we are standing now I am so glad we took the chance when we did.

Back in march I discovered I was pregnant, totally unplanned, with our 4th child. June brought a promotion for hubby, October my mum visited and were told our landlords were selling - our contract ended a week before my due date. So 3 weeks of stress with househunting we found a much nicer home but then found out from a scan baby had some kidney problems.

Lots of scans followed and was told i would have to birth at Auckland which was fine. Lots of false labours followed until I finally had our son on new years eve. Long story short we were then told our beautiful boy has down syndrome, after a couple of heart scares, 3 weeks in NICU and we finally came home.

So if we had held off coming we would not have ever made it to nz as our sons diagnosis would have stopped that, we would have missed the exceptional midwife care which far exceeds my past 3 uk experiences. We would not have met the amazing people we have, our home is just wonderful and everyday we feel so lucky to be here. I am so glad we came here, the future may change as we may need family support as our son gets older but right now we feel very blessed.

So grab every chance that life offers you, you never know what the future holds.

What a wonderful story. It makes you wonder if things just don't work out the way they're meant to be. Congratulations on your new baby - I hear that Down's children are very special.

Bless you - what a wonderfully positive take on life you have. Welcome to the world for your little Kiwi.

Congratulations on the birth of your son...lovely story and oh, so true!

How inspiring to hear your story. Congrats on your new addition. I know a few mums with Downs babies and they always say what a blessing they are - hard work but any baby is hard work. Good to hear the positive reports about the care you received in NZ too. Reassuring for all young couples looking to make the move and start a family. Look forward to your 2 year post

Best of luck for you and your family.., I don't know you, but is sounds as if knowing someone like you must be a blessing, too!

Congrats Scarycat for the special one and all the best with everything ahead!!!

Lovely post, scarycat. Many congratulations on the birth of your son.

Congratulations on your little bundle of joy. I personally believe that things happen for a reason, and you seem to have the perfect attitude to accept whatever comes your way. Enjoy your beautiful family and your life in NZ.

Congratulations on your boy Scarycat - I knew you sounded familiar (I'm on the OB Feb thread - but with a different name - and lurk in January/March to see how others are getting on).

I wish you well on the rest of your lives in NZ (been here almost 9 years and have no wish to ever leave).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast