Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do GPs in New Zealand care?

Or like Osteopathy accepted in UK and NZ, you can get a PhD in it. In many countries in Europe it is just not accepted and thus your private thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Define Science! 'Western', 'Indian', 'Chinese', 'African' and and and ... they are all different.
    And that is what I like here in NZ that they try to combine these different types of medical science!
    I'm not sure about different types of medical science. There's medical science, and then there's osteopathy, acupuncture, homeopathy, etc. Without saying anything about the value of the latter three, I doubt they are scientific in the general understanding of science and evidence based medicine. Doesn't mean they couldn't work, or might not have a place in dealing with ailments, but doesn't make them science.

If you applied the same scientific research methods to osteopathy, for example, as to other areas, then it might become a medical science. However, I often get the impression that people look for alternatives to medical science because they feel it has failed them in one way or the other, so are actually looking for something that specifically is not medical science.

Just a general observation, not really pertinent to this thread, sorry.

Daniela
    Last edited by dharder; 9th May 2012 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks for your replies. The situation sounds quite encouraging.

nickydwuk, how did you get your visits for $30? I had the idea that it would cost more like 2x that amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    My son has seen 1 GP here who is useless, as bright as a rock. The others have been great, done a good exam, listened to him and I and not been rushing us out the door. I agree that my be you have a bad GP or practice that maybe you need to change!
    The visits here can get pricey for some people and then they come and visit us in the ED and clog up the ED. In the US they came and visited the ED as it was the only place you did not have to pay up front, so same problem, different causes.
    I meant to ask, what is the ED?

Emergency Department?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Emergency Department?
    Yes, sorry!!!!

Back in the UK, if I wanted to see a doctor I had to phone the surgery, wait for a couple of minutes for the recorded message about their "new answer phone system", press various buttons before finally speaking to a receptionist. She would then explain that I couldn't book a appointment with a doctor but had to simply turn up in the morning in person to arrange an appointment to discuss ONE medical issue. Then I could either wait with the other unwell people coughing and squeezing for the my appointed ten minute slot later in the morning or return later.

The approach being to discourage anyone they considered to be a time waster.

I later discovered that I could book an appointment is I mentioned the phrase "commuter appointment" and book a later appointment (up to 8pm) or an early appointment (between 7am and 8am).

Here in New Zealand, I can either turn up almost at any time for an appointment including weekends and a couple of evenings each week until 9pm. OK, I have to pay but I can discuss any number of issues or concerns I have.

So, I prefer the kiwi system with the small charge to see a doctor when I want to see a doctor not the UK lowest common denominated approach.

ahh but there is starting to be medical science behind acupuncture.

I've seen a few different doctors here over the years, and most of them have been on the nagging side, about weight/diet/exercise and preventive care. In general I think seeing the doctor here is cheap, since in the US I usually had to pay $125 per appointment if I didn't have insurance covering. Care seems to be about the same here, but the cost is only about $35.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkChop View Post
    Thanks for your replies. The situation sounds quite encouraging.

nickydwuk, how did you get your visits for $30? I had the idea that it would cost more like 2x that amount.
    I visited the GP in our local practice (attached to the small community hospital) and that was their charge. I was expecting $40 +. I know GP's charge about $70 for home visits - that's what some of my patients mentioned. Does help stop time wasters.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast